Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Is there a reason for images on forums?

Re: Is there a reason for images on forums?

Of course it's "possible" to add any commentary you want including a critique. But almost all the comments I see on the threads I visit consist of meaningless variations on "I like it" or "great picture Jack." It's rare to see any meaningful critiques which IMHO is unfortunate because there are a few people here who are really qualified to provide useful critiques if they were willing to take the time to do it.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I have found that meaningful critiques were oftentimes not appreciated. It seems to me that people generally only want a casual "like".
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

There should be more of a drift towards meaningful critique, this forum has a lot of experience, and people who know a good picture and how to improve, or refine one. If someone posts a picture here I think that they should expect critique, I know I would.

The people looking for casual "like" should go to Facebook and Flickr, and for the most part I think that they do. I have noticed that images that I don't find particularly interesting often don't get acknowledgment.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Alpert View Post
    I feel that photographic images on the Internet are very poor shadows of well-made original prints. Any meaningful aesthetic consideration is obliterated by the distortions and inadequacies of the Little Screen.
    Sounds like you need a better monitor. There's a lot of very good work online now that displays very, very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    I have found that meaningful critiques were oftentimes not appreciated. It seems to me that people generally only want a casual "like".

I've contributed to this forum, off and on, for about a decade, without posting an image or commenting on another forum-member's image. I feel that photographic images on the Internet are very poor shadows of well-made original prints. Any meaningful aesthetic consideration is obliterated by the distortions and inadequacies of the Little Screen. But I suppose there are reasons for posting images here and on other forums. The alleviation of loneliness is a good reason that I can respect. Even though we are all strangers to each other, the forum seems to maintain a sense of community that is, in spite of its limitations, worthwhile. And there are practical reasons for posting images that make sense: presenting the way a technical problem has ruined a negative or print, for instance.
    While I agree with your overall sentiments, suggesting that "photographic images on the Internet are very poor shadows of well-made original prints" is somewhat of a copout. The internet is now the primary way nearly everyone consumes images. That is not likely to change despite the fact there are a few Luddites like us still fanning a dying flame. Like it or not, the only efficacious way of communicating the work you're doing these days is through the web. Not recognizing that scanning and PS are now your allies in communicating your skilled work is as burying your head in the sand.

Quote Originally Posted by marfa boomboom tx View Post
    Simple. Why post images on the forums?
    Is it possible for any commentary beyond aperture, GPS coordinates, etc?

(I left teaching about thirty years ago, because I couldn't get over the 19 year olds problems.)
    Your parenthetical completely explains your post, for me. I suspect your questions may have been aimed more at critique forums than referential images in the other forums, but who knows since you haven't been back since stirring the pot.

I've posted this opinion before, but I can't understand how someone can post suggestions that suggest a level of expertise, and then refuse to show any work here or on a personal website. Its the cart before the horse in a certain sense. We all know of the compromises involved in getting work on the web. Whatever. I say, show us what you got or sit back down.

Personally, I've found it very instructive to show work in different settings; this place, other forums, galleries, commercial environments, shop windows. You might say I've taken the opportunity to bore people wherever I go. But what I've found is that its tricky to learn to differentiate between work that resonates for me, or work that resonates for a viewing public in general, or for a certain type of photographers. I've had work that people really liked in a gallery, but fell flat when posted here, and vice versa. This place is just one of many opportunities to find out how a certain interest group feels about a given image.

We all have shots that we really like but we're not sure why, nor if someone else will feel the same way. There needs to be public interaction of some kind to sort that out, and not just with family or mentors who care for your feelings. I don't think critique is the issue. I agree with Kirk that nobody really wants it without knowing the perspective of that person. The benefit comes from simply putting something out there and seeing what happens. The responses can be very reassuring, but also discouraging when no one says anything and you thought it was pretty good. However, those experiences are invaluable for an artist who wants to develop their craft, IMO.
    John Youngblood
    www.jyoungblood.com

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Garrett, The OP's other posts suggest that English is not the poster's first language. I think he is asking why people post images here.
    For reference:
    Quote Originally Posted by marfa boomboom tx View Post
    Simple. Why post images on the forums?
    Is it possible for any commentary beyond aperture, GPS coordinates, etc?

(I left teaching about thirty years ago, because I couldn't get over the 19 year olds problems.)
    Based on the theory that "marfa boomboom tx" is actually in Texas, I don't find much out of the ordinary comparing what was written and conversations with Texans I've known. I also lived in Alpine, TX, for a while back in the late 1970s. (1978?) Anyways, many times American English has wandered far off the mainstream track, and a person may be hard pressed to understand a local variant. Maine comes to mind.

As for the original question: We photograph, and photography is an exercise in psychosis unless it is shared with others. Then it becomes a contagious psychosis.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

multiplex

Michael Alpert

Quote Originally Posted by mandoman7 View Post
    I've posted this opinion before, but I can't understand how someone can post suggestions that suggest a level of expertise, and then refuse to show any work here or on a personal website. Its the cart before the horse in a certain sense. We all know of the compromises involved in getting work on the web. Whatever. I say, show us what you got or sit back down. .
    I take you at your word when you say that you "can't understand how someone can post suggestions that suggest a level of expertise, and then refuse to show any work here or on a personal website." Right now, you truly don't (I won't say 'can't') understand. I enjoy discussing photographs as much as anyone. But not on the web. I really don't think everyone needs to ride on the same train. I happen to value this forum highly, but I don't even know what you real name is. Given your complete anonymity, your comments on my photographs would be coming from a place that I simply would not trust.

The rest of your statement makes complete sense to me. I understand the reasons you want to post images here. That's great. But, as I've already stated, it's not for me. And, to continue your metaphor, I'll stand up for my position.

I take you at your word when you say that you "can't understand how someone can post suggestions that suggest a level of expertise, and then refuse to show any work here or on a personal website." Right now, you truly don't (I won't say 'can't') understand. I enjoy discussing photographs as much as anyone. But not on the web. I really don't think everyone needs to ride on the same train.
    I should've said "I don't agree with" not posting, rather than not understanding. Not everyone needs to ride the same train, but if we're talking about a certain train, those that have ridden it would be more informed. Seeing someone's work gives a reference point to their comments.

I happen to value this forum highly, but I don't even know what you real name is. Given your complete anonymity, your comments on my photographs would be coming from a place that I simply would not trust.
    Really? My website's given on the profile which is easily checked in every post, where there's more info than anyone would possibly want to know about my activities. I don't know how to change the pseudonym, but would make an effort to do so if it really made any difference. I can't believe you didn't even bother to check the website...
    John Youngblood
    www.jyoungblood.com