Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone tried this ?

Has anyone tried this ?

Okay, I'm in Walmart wandering around the paint department and I see Kool-Seal elastomric (sp) roof covering for trailers. According to the can, it forms a strong water proof seal. Has anybody tried using this for a darkroom sink ?

Dave Karp

Re: Has anyone tried this ?

I think that Gordon Hutchings might have done something like this in his darkroom. If I remember right, there was an article about his new darkroom years ago in View Camera.

Dave Karp

Actually, now that I think about it, he took his sinks to one of those places that line truck beds. Sorry.

As poorly as I've seen it work on trailers I wouldn't trust it in a sink.

Welll........so much for THAT idea !

Check out Herculiner which is a $35 - $70 roll on brush on pickup truck bed liner. Most online and local auto parts folks should have it or something similar. Have not done it yet but it is in the plans for my sink.

west systems epoxy. do it right the first time.

Yeah I tried the company that does the truck beds - even though they will come to you to do your truck bed - they refused to do my darkroom - which seemed silly... but their loss I suppose.

Drew Wiley

It would be worthless. It's a cheapo DIY acrylic that will reemulsify in standing (puddled) water. Any roof coating would have to be an expensive true rubber-based product, which means either very nasty fume-wise during application (if you can legally get it at all), or heat-welded from sheets stock taken from a roll, which would
    require a pro to do it. As already noted, the correct method is to use a penetrating marine epoxy.

Drew Wiley

The type of liquid rubber I used to sell for dkrm sinks and chemical vats was made of pure hypalon. Last time we handled any it required a special military exemption
    which stipulated it be used only in international waters. It went to aircraft carrier decks; but now is deemed to nasty even for the military to acquire. Commercial
    roofers can acquire it in sheets and heat weld the seams. But it would be cheaper just to buy a prefab stainless or ABS sink. I wanted an oversized sink for my own
    dkrm, so had a fellow who heat-welds lead in nuclear reactors stitch me up some sheets of thick polypropylene. The technique is about the same. He'd lift lead
    sheets all day, so had biceps like tree trunks, and a neck as thick as the Washington Monument. But I already knew the fellow so got the sink very reasonably.
    But one day a bouncer outside a club punched this fellow - one punch back and the bouncer ended up with six months of facial reconstruction.