Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Bodie! Post your images!

Re: Bodie! Post your images!

Thank you Harley, Curt and Jim. This year marks my 60th in photography. I'll be putting some new work on my website, it has been neglected --- just noticed the 2012 copyright!

Wonderful shot of the window, Merg. I'm strongly reminded of Brett Weston, who's work I saw a lot of when my parents lived in Pebble Beach. I understand you had some nice associations with that crowd. I took a workshop or two with the Josephus Daniels gallery in Carmel and came to envy those that had the chance to mingle with the photo icons in that neighborhood.
    John Youngblood
    www.jyoungblood.com

Three shots from Bodie circa 1989. An amazing place with all kinds of photographic possibilities.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bodie Boardwalk_Pola.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	97193Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bodie Sunroom .jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	97194Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bodie Well.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	97195

Peter, Since '89 some of the ghosts have begun a display of bottles and insulators behind the window of the building in your second photograph. (It's not LF so I won't post it directly: http://www.flickr.com/photos/eajames...1939/lightbox/ )

Nice thread Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Gomena View Post
    Three shots from Bodie circa 1989. An amazing place with all kinds of photographic possibilities.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bodie Well.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	97195
    The bucket image does a real nice job of highlighting the forlornness of Bodie.

The last time I was there, a young ghost had put a small paper Halloween pumpkin in a window. I think the park caretakers and their families have access most photographers don't. Of course, I photographed it, but not in LF.

Quote Originally Posted by mandoman7 View Post
    Wonderful shot of the window, Merg. I'm strongly reminded of Brett Weston, who's work I saw a lot of when my parents lived in Pebble Beach. I understand you had some nice associations with that crowd. I took a workshop or two with the Josephus Daniels gallery in Carmel and came to envy those that had the chance to mingle with the photo icons in that neighborhood.
    Thank you John, and for sharing your good work. You sure struck it rich with those clouds!

Yes, I did mingle with some very fine photographers in Carmel and the Bay Area. I never thought of them as "icons", perhaps due to knowing them as a youngster. They were pretty normal, with the cares we all share in our day to day living, plus the added passion for photography. Brett, of course, had an immense impact on my life, perhaps more as a person than as a photographer. It would be difficult to be around such an individual from the age of eight, and not be influenced; by the age of twelve I knew that photography would be my own passion, and Brett supported my efforts for four decades.

However, that is all another story, one I am presently attempting to put into words.

Now, back to images of Bodie! Who's next?

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Merg, I can't wait to read about everything you experienced. Nice to have such a mentor not only for photography but in life. So another from my last trip. This series is rather dark and rich like Bodie. hard to see here but the actual carbon print is very nice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bodie-window-reflection-2013.jpg  

For those who have been there in the winter, I'm curious how you got there. When I tried a couple winters ago (March) I was able to drive a short distance on the road and then encountered a sign saying the road and Bodie itself were closed for the winter. I was tempted to hike but then I was afraid that when I got there someone would tell me I couldn't make photographs while it was closed.

I've visited in the summer and it wasn't all that crowded though I did encounter a woman who was standing in front of a building I wanted to photograph. She obviously saw what I was trying to do so she just stood there doing nothing until I gave up. I guess she considered herself the winner.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Merg Ross View Post
    Repaired Window, 1966 4x5/150 Symmar 5.6 Convert.Attachment 97164
    Masterful as usual Merg.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"