Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LF development without a darkroom

Re: LF development without a darkroom

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Smith View Post
    Much better than standing in the dark for 11mins (my dev time).
    you can shorten Dev times by using more concentrated developer. I use xtol and d76 and when I moved to trays I switched from 1:1 solution to the stock solution to cut my times. When I need to shorten my Dev time for zone system n-1 or n-2 I can always use a 1:1 to lengthen the time so it's not to short.

Another good thing about tray developing is that say I go out and expose 3 negatives one weekend and each one needs separate developing times because of zone system developing compensation I find it easier to do that with trays. With a day light system you have to wait for your tank, film holder or whatever to completely dry before you can load another sheet. With trays you just place the developed sheet in a tray of water, turn off the lights and start on your next sheet.
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

I found that anything tray developing anything smaller than 8x10 was a ROYAL P.I.T.A. in the long run.

tray developing takes time and practice to become proficient at. Like ANYTHING in life, honestly. It worked for Ansel and Edward Weston, and many here use it regularly as well. Try it, shoot some film and try it out. Burn a box of 25 sheets to see if it works for your style.

Now that 5x7 has become my go-to format(using 4x5 on occasion as well), I found that using a Jobo 3010(going to trade towards a 3006) drum is a PLEASURE to use. And its in the light. I can mix up the next batch of developer(pyro, d-76, etc..) for the next run, or simply just do other things!

YES, there is a cost involved with this. How committed are you to this endeavor? If you want to work in the light, frankly I feel that the Jobo Expert drums are unequaled in performance vs other methods.

-Dan

A btzs tube is cheap and works really well. Definitely do not need the full set. Used HP Combiplan works too.
    My website Flickr
    "There is little or no ‘reality’ in the blacks, grays and whites of either the informational or expressive black-and-white image" -Ansel Adams

With a day light system you have to wait for your tank, film holder or whatever to completely dry before you can load another sheet. With trays you just place the developed sheet in a tray of water, turn off the lights and start on your next sheet.
    Really? I wipe BTZS tubes with paper towels and I'm ready to go. If you presoak the film, no need to dry the tubes. BTZS tubes are great for individual times AND chemistry.
    As mentioned, you don't need to buy the kit. Just get a couple of tubes, and a deep tray (got one from Ikea) and Bob's your uncle.

Quote Originally Posted by AnselAdamsX View Post
    I use print drums to develop 4x5, 5x7, and 8x10 film. I load them in a changing tent. I only need the bathroom darkroom to enlarge.
    This is probably the best solution. I used it for years.

Load a daylight tank in a changing bag.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    Load a daylight tank in a changing bag.

- Leigh
    This method works great
    Questions and comments are always welcome

3D-Stereo-Aeropanoramas

How about Novatanks? 8x10 for 8x10 or the larger ones.
    Are novatanks working for filmsheets? for 8x10 do i need the larger tank(30x40cm) since with 8x10 when moving up and down upper parts will come out of the chemistry. maybe only move left and right.
    do i need the trimate or is dualmate enough? developper-fix only. maybe stop outside before fixing. never did try film-developping. did a lot of ra4-printwork. novatank 8x19 dualmate was also a good testtank for my rcp20/ra-4-conversion. running teststrips there before using the machine(takes 3x longer) Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    BTZS tubes.
    +1 on the BTZS tubes. I load the film and chemistry in a small closet with a piece of blackout cloth hung on the inside of the doorand then carry the tubes into the kitchen.

Roger

[QUOTE=msbarnes;1034195]I'm interested in starting LF but I don't always have access to a darkroom...

Well, what are some ways to develop film? I'm interested in options for 4x5, 5x7, and 8x10 but will probably start with 4x5. I see one popular but somewhat controversial option for 4x5 is the mod54, what are some other options and relative prices for the equipment.

Else, I am thinking of just making my bathroom into a temporary darkroom and going tray development. This seems like a hassle but the most conventional.[/QUOTE]
    Really, it's not a hassle at all. that's what I do.
    Even if you opt for a daylight processor, you still need someplace that's going to be dark to load your drum (and load/unload your film holders!)
    Check out Graywolf Phillips article on the Unicolor processor by clicking on the LF Home Page on blue banner at the top of this page. I've used a Unicolor for years but mine quite recently turned on me, so I'm back to using trays.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White