Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: June 2013 Portraits

Re: June 2013 Portraits

"Faye"

My first ever large format portrait

... will be a portrait of my wife, another amateur photographer.

She will forgive me for subjected her to the cold look of a G-Claron 240/9 @f11.

other sizes : http://www.flickr.com/photos/9438444...n/photostream/

It was more a quick trial for my first set of LF B&W shots, it turned out well enough.

Fomapan 100 developped with LC29 and scanned with V700.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Tuffin View Post
    Sure no problem! I was using strobes (a total of 12000 joules in three floor packs). You need a LOT of light to shoot full length in the studio using strobes with wet plate. I needed flash to freeze the movement of the dog. In saying that I was going for an Irving Penn feel with this one (minus the work attire and add one dog) and played with the lighting to create a partial silhouette on the guy while still lighting the dog. I had 3000ws on the dog and 3000ws (6000ws pack) on the back of the model acting as keys lights. I split a 3000ws pack for slight fill (leveling out the light) on the other side. I split another 3000ws pack on the background evenly lighting it on both sides.

To be honest if you're just getting started, you should buy a manual from Mark Osterman, John Coffer or Quinn Jacobson. If you have someone experienced nearby to you, see if you can do a workshop. There are also a few forums on facebook you can join and I think the collodion.com forum Quinn started is still going.

Good luck!

that amount of power of strobes isn't easy to find for me... you rated the collodium about 3-4 iso? Maybe I'll reach a total of 2200 joules splitted in 3\4 bulbs.
    you maybe need to shot a f/4 or less... I think I'll try whit sunlight the first times!
    thanks for the help, I'm in touch with a guy to attend a collodium workshop before starting it.

Craig T

Quote Originally Posted by gsinico View Post
    that amount of power of strobes isn't easy to find for me... you rated the collodium about 3-4 iso? Maybe I'll reach a total of 2200 joules splitted in 3\4 bulbs.
    you maybe need to shot a f/4 or less... I think I'll try whit sunlight the first times!
    thanks for the help, I'm in touch with a guy to attend a collodium workshop before starting it.
    The ISO is 1 or slightly less depending on the age of your collodion (it gets slower, weaker and more contrasty with age). Start out just using open shade as it's perfect for wet plate before venturing into the studio setting. You can use continuous lights or strobes inside and the output will depend on your formulas (but you will always need a fair bit). You really don't need the amount of light that I was using for head and shoulders shots in the studio. The light fall-off is dramatic with WP so I used big output for this one to cover a full length portrait and to light the background. Fast lenses are handy and I think it was wet platers that really kicked the petzval lens purchase virus into gear. In saying that I often shoot smaller apertures than f8 outside so whatever you have is good enough to start you off.

One last thing, this process is orthochromatic not panchromatic so you need to focus on working in the blue and UV end of the spectrum. That means that if you do decide to use your strobes, remove or replace the glass tube protector if it's UV coated.

http://www.craigtuffin.com

Montreal , Canada. Los Angeles, California

Natalie
    11x14 Platinum toned Giclee Print
    18 in Verito with Xray material.

Quote Originally Posted by Tri Tran View Post

Natalie
    smashing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tri Tran View Post
    Natalie
    Wow!

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Tri, beautiful model and great use of a very fine lens and x-ray film to boot!!

Montreal , Canada. Los Angeles, California

Thanks Serge, Scott and Jim
    Each of the soft focus lens have their own signature look . I do enjoy using them alternately depending the subject and the look that I'm pursuing.This one below was taken with the Eidoscope at 2 stop down from wide open.