Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pyro and Photo Flo

Pyro and Photo Flo

I am going to experiment with using the Photographer's Formulary 2 part liquid Pyro chemistry for the first time. I ran across information that states not to use Photo-Flo or similar chemicals on Pyro processed films as it will remove the stain. Where I live we have hard well water so not using Photo-Flo will result in water spotting on film. Can experienced users of Pyro shed some light on this? In addition, the PF instructions talk about using a Pyro after bath (meaning after fixing). My understanding was that after developing in Pyro and fixing in PF's TF-4 alkali fixer the film is just washed in water for about 45min. It is also stated that using TF-4 does not require a hypo clearing agent. Can the use of a hypo clearing agent speed up the wash process, and will using this chemical also wash away the Pyro stain? Thanks for your informed comments.

Re: Pyro and Photo Flo

Luis, there's a lot of rubbish written about these issues and saying don't use Photoflow and re-using the developer as an after bath after fixing are some of them. Others are saying don't use a stop bath and only using an alkaline fixer.

I recommend you read Sandy King's article on using Pyro developers.

Ian

Luis, I can only tell you about my own processing; I have been using PMK for a long time, and as far as I can tell, nothing I'm doing has had a damaging effect on the stain. First, Gordon Hutchings no longer recommends the after bath in used developer; it turns out that the after-bath simply increased overall stain, not the image-specific stain that you want. So my sequence is pre-soak - PMK - water stop bath - TF-4 - wash. After washing for 25-30 minutes, I do use a little Photo-Flo in distilled water before hanging up the negs to dry. I had never heard any suggestions to avoid the Photo-Flo. I have never used hypo clear on negatives. The wash time is that recommended by both PF for TF-4 and by Hutchings, who says that 25-30 minutes of washing maximizes stain.

Pyro and Photo Flo

Ian and Peter, thank you very much for your info. I am leaning towards Pyrocat-HD from Bostick-Sullivan liquid concentrates based of Sandy's article and other forum posts. I do have another question, can it be mixed just prior to using for just the amount needed or does it have to be mixed into a stock solution? I have mixed Rodinal for just the amount needed for many years and it has worked well, hopefully I can do the same with Pyrocat.

Yes you mix just what you need before use with Pyrocat.

Ian

Octogenarian

LuisR,

I suggest that you get Pyrocat-HD in glycol from the Photo Formulary. It has a much longer shelf life.

Stock solution comes in two parts. You merely mix one part A with one part B and one hundred parts water to make a working solution.

(ie: 10ml A+ 10ml B + 1000ml water).

Once mixed, the working solution begins to oxidize. Discard after use.

The instructions are included in the package.

I've been using Pyro with Photoflo for years; no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by LuisR View Post
    I ran across information that states not to use Photo-Flo or similar chemicals on Pyro processed films as it will remove the stain. Where I live we have hard well water so not using Photo-Flo will result in water spotting on film. In addition, the PF instructions talk about using a Pyro after bath (meaning after fixing). My understanding was that after developing in Pyro and fixing in PF's TF-4 alkali fixer the film is just washed in water for about 45min. It is also stated that using TF-4 does not require a hypo clearing agent. Can the use of a hypo clearing agent speed up the wash process, and will using this chemical also wash away the Pyro stain? Thanks for your informed comments.
    No photo-flo for pyro - Rubbish! And you don't have to use non alkaline fixer either and standard stop bath is fine also. No final soak in used developer and you can use hypo-clearing agent.

Pyro should be mixed immediately prior to development and as Mr. Singer points out the gycol based version is preferred for maximum shelf life.

Thanks again to all for your valuable info!!!

While I did see the development time charts in King's article I am curious to what development times for FP4+, PanF+, and Acros 100 in 35mm, 120, and 4x5 others use successfully. Thanks again.