Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lens rationalisation - forum as a sounding board please

come to the dark s(l)ide..... Carsten Wolff's Avatar
    Australia at the moment, Spain or UK one day perhaps

Re: Lens rationalisation - forum as a sounding board please

I'd perhaps get rid of the 58, 80, 180, 203, 210, 300; the 360 A-R and the 480 A-N. This leaves you 110, 150, 240 and 360/500...(I, too, am surprised about that 203 covering 8x10 by the way) If you're thinking of going 2x3 in future, why own these lenses now?

[I've gone another way: I've reduced the number of formats I'm using; this probably wouldn't appeal to you though. I almost exclusively do 5x7 (b/w and color) these days on a small old arca-swiss (with extra 6x17 and 4x5 backs). I run a modern, or a vintage kit on that: Either: 104, 159, 254 vintage or: 90, 135, 210 modern. I also keep a 380T when I need longer. If money was no object, I'd have a 110xl, a 150Sironar-W and a 240Docter, or Fujinon-A to replace all of these, bar the long lens, but that wasn't your question .]
    http://www.jeffbridges.com/perception.html "Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you are right."

Lenses are tools..At the rightntime in the rightnplace any one ofmthem could be exactly the thing you need.I'd keep them all.

Thanks for your input, interestingly I have decided to keep a narrower set. 80/110/150/203/300 in shuttered lenses and a 350/460 barrels with the luc shutter. This is a nice small kit with coverage of 10x8 at the long end and a balanced spacing at the wider end. It was a toss up between the 203 and the 240 but I have a particular fondness for the 203 and have just had the shutter serviced. The 80/110/150 took me years to put together and is something of a holy trinity in terms of quality etc. The 203 becomes my emergency wideangle for 10x8. For now the 58 is on hold while I think about whether to drop 6x9 as I havent used it in anger for 6mths now. If it wasnt so light, portable and share so many of the components from the other Arcas then it would be a no brainer to go. I have 6x9 and 6x12 backs for 5x4 so but for size it could be made redundant.

Your right Evan but I cant carry them all anymore ! I lugged a good subset around for the weekend up cliffs and over moors and I did wonder at the madness of it...

Best regards

A good question which I have pondered more than once. I shoot 5x4 for the vast majority. I have two sets of lenses: colour and b&w. My colour set is made of modern lenses at different focal lengths (75, 90, 125, 210, 420 - their usage follows a nice bell curve with 125 being the favourite). My b&w set is made of vintage lenses but are all more all less the same focal length - 210mm. The texture of the picture matters more to me in b&w and the different, old lenses each have their character. For colour, the "transparency" of the lens is paramount. Good luck!

Why not use the 58 on 45? It fully covers it.

I love these threads
    Here are my tho

blink