Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
Indeed, there are already a good number of problem limiting current image sensor technology today that are not limited by current knowledge of Physics.
Can you name one? And maybe point to a source?

I've seen a lot annecdotal ones come and go. Not long ago it was presumed that 5 micron pixels would be too small, and would give poor s/n and dynamic range performance. Then Nikon/Sony's 4.8 micron sensor broke all the performance records. A year later they produced a 4 micron sensor which does not seem to have introduced any compromises.

When the manufacturers stop investing in smaller pixels, all the attention will turn to better pixels. How to capture more energy, introduce less noise, accurately transfer more cycles per pixel, give better color purity. We will likely see alternatives to the bayer sensor and foveon, and alternatives to cmos.

And consider that these smaller pixel pitches have not been introduced yet in the world of larger sensors. This may take a while ... the guys I know with 60 and 80 megapixel phase one backs have long wish lists, but I almost never see the call for more pixels on those lists. And yes, everyone I know with these backs has large format film experience.