Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: Everyone, I have resigned as a moderator.

Re: Everyone, I have resigned as a moderator.

I never understood the reason for moderating a discussion forum. It doesn't matter if its a photography website, cars, neo-nazi, or fashion & clothing. Forums are about the sharing and discussion of knowledge and ideas.

I guess most forums need mods to keep weak people from getting their feelings hurt.

But anyway, good luck Kirk!

John Olsen

Quote Originally Posted by Shootar401 View Post
    I never understood the reason for moderating a discussion forum. It doesn't matter if its a photography website, cars, neo-nazi, or fashion & clothing. Forums are about the sharing and discussion of knowledge and ideas.

I guess most forums need mods to keep weak people from getting their feelings hurt.

But anyway, good luck Kirk!
    The purpose of the mods is to make sure that the forums do share ideas and knowledge. Unfortunately, some people mistake whatever is going through their head for knowledge or ideas, which may be disruptive to the forum's purpose. The mods do a good job keeping the exchange civil and informative. References to "weak people" are kind of odd in this context. All of the mods are doing an important job. Thanks kirk.

Thanks John!
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

So how has your life changed since resigning from moderation?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Thanks John!

Well I definitely feel like it has freed up mental energy and time. I miss having the control where I can go back and correct my stupid writing mistakes forever and the ability to "see" deleted posts and threads. But honestly, while I'm glad I did it. I don't miss it at all. I thought I would.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

Wingnut/GearJammer/IBEWRetired Racer X 69's Avatar

Well I definitely feel like it has freed up mental energy and time. I miss having the control where I can go back and correct my stupid writing mistakes forever and the ability to "see" deleted posts and threads. But honestly, while I'm glad I did it. I don't miss it at all. I thought I would.
    Well Kirk, I am but a n00b here, but having been a m0dUlAt0r on other forums I can say that I know how you feel. The duties are thankless, and all too often misunderstood by the general forum membership. People act as if you are some kind of Superhuman Internet being or something. And when the whiners don't get their way you are the first to hear about it.

Indeed, the ability to go back and edit one's mistakes discovered days or even weeks later is nice. And being able to see the behind he scenes stuff is also helpful.

I'm still getting familiar with this forum, the members, and the 1,006,318 posts and 95,521 threads. Lots to read here. I joined up to become more familiar with LF photography, and this forum looked (albeit from the outside) as the best one on the interwwebs to do so.

So cheers!

Have a beer on me.

Go ahead, choose whichever one suits your chemical makeup.

Best regards,
    Racer
    Whiskey Is Sunlight Held Together By Water

Thanks for your contribution Kirk. Best to you in your future endeavors and if you ever get to Denver lets have lunch.

Thanks. Yes I would like that. I am embarrassed to say that I get to Denver regularly as two of my kids and all my grandkids live in Denver plus my youngest daughters husband is from Denver. Seem s my time is always taken by family stuff. But yes I would love to get together.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

Thanks. Yes I would like that. I am embarrassed to say that I get to Denver regularly as two of my kids and all my grandkids live in Denver plus my youngest daughters husband is from Denver. Seem s my time is always taken by family stuff. But yes I would love to get together.
    Understand completely and the door is always open. Family and particularly grandchildren are things you never can have enough time with. I would also like to see if you could break away for an hour or so to attend one of our Denver large format group meetings that take place the second Saturday morning of each month so keep that in mind. We have a great mix of LF and ULF photographers and an energetic and very productive print showing and discussion. Great group of guys.

Cheers!

I will actually be in Denver for the October one. So I will give it a try. Could you email me a reminder maybe a week before?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73: