Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Building a 4x5 camera from scratch

Re: Building a 4x5 camera from scratch

No. I lived in Lesotho for two years in the late 80s, and used to visit Bloemfontein occasionally. I was in PE once, but don't recall much except some really excellent mussels! In those days I shot an OM1 and an XA, so I don't know any LF shooters there. I hope to get back there sometime with my 4x5, as the sunsets in Lesotho were fantastic.

Well, I am headed for Lesotho in a week or three with the old camera to go and complete a 110 year circle. We will make a day trip into Lesotho and I will be taking ALL the toys...

Hoping to return with some nice images!

Take a look at Rayment Kirby's site. He has some excellent ideas for building wooden view cameras. He has a good number of diagrams and such. Beautiful wood work. Lots of great info and design ideas.

I have looked at Kirby's site, and the camera he has plans for is nice, but not exactly a classic folding field. What is needed is selection of a fully functional design (like a Deardorf?), then good drawing (I think nowadays that can be done on computer), then a real parts list drawn from an actual supplier, so I could send them the order list for the rack and pinion gears, knobs, springs, etc. Then folks like me could buy the parts, track down wood, and putter around in the shop for years...

I wish I had measured my Ikeda Anba before I sold it, as that was a classic, simple and really lightweight design. Perhaps someone who has a 5x7 or 8x10 would be willing to measure theirs?

I think for now my plan would be to make an upscaled replica of the Billcliff / J.T. Chapman I just restored and upscale it to 8x10.

I would then do absolutely everything as close as possible to the sample quarter plate I converted to 4x5.

The only difference would be lenses...I would probably hunt for two nice modern lenses...approximately standard or slightly longer and a really nice but not silly wide angle perspective...

Well, that is the plan...many other things to take care of first...

I have some early British field cameras (quarter plate, half plate & whole plate) and I'm constantly surprised by the simple, light weight but rugged construction. If I was building a 10x8 I'd copy the best features from them. I was lucky to find some camera parts at a flea market just before Christmas and have two focus beds and a back, and most of the brass fittings, no plans as yet to use them.

Part of my dilemna is I only paid £20 for my last half plate camera, it would cost me so myuch more to make one, OK it needs bellows but that's easy enough.

Ian

Hello Ian and all you other wonderful folks...

I tinkered with the old girl tonight with the aim of studying her to copy and every time I am more amazed at the simplicity of the design.

At first I thought I would buy an 8x10 film holder and build the camera around that but I am more and more convinced I should simply scale her up and make everything myself...except for the lens, of course...

I do have some woodworking knowledge and this will surely be both a very relaxing a very rewarding way to pass some time.

It's just that you guys live in camera heaven compared to this village I live in...picking up such bargains...having camera fairs...

I imagine my first hurdle would be that of aligning the planes of ground glass with that of the film...any ideas?

I know there is a wealth of information in those links but I sadly do not have the time to read all of it so if anyone could point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it!

Cheers all!

Quote Originally Posted by antonroland View Post
    I imagine my first hurdle would be that of aligning the planes of ground glass with that of the film...any ideas?

I know there is a wealth of information in those links but I sadly do not have the time to read all of it so if anyone could point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it!

Cheers all!
    It's the only big deal of the process. I made one Home made camera last month, If you start from the original film holder there is no problem!
    Keep It Simple Stupid with you design, you'll spare time/effort/weight
    The 2 importants pieces of gear are film holders+ lense

Feel free to have a look at one of my attempt here: http://www.chassimages.com/forum/ind...,181047.0.html