Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Dream cameras we want, but cannot have, let's see them!

Re: Dream cameras we want, but cannot have, let's see them!

I do not need any more cameras.
    I need energy, strength.

Drew Wiley

No, no, no, no, no.... No ABS Phillips cameras! Dick got it right the first time. He made custom laminate of a of marine-epoxy-impregnated cherrywood and fiberglass.
    It's lightwt, doesn't warp, and holds up to the elements. The epoxy yellows and could eventually fail if you just left it in the sun forever. But you don't. ABS is heavy
    and is capable of shattering upon impact in very cold weather. Ever own one of those "unbreakable" ABS camera cases and drop it on a really cold day? Now Chamonix has altered Dick's formula by substituting carbon fiber for the fiberglass. I made some hardware modifications on my early Phillips and now already own my dream camera.

I'd love to have an Ebony 57SUE

You know, if we could all agree on one camera, we could each chip in some money and then do a time-share type thing, where you'd get it for a month and then pass it along to the next guy. Unfortunately, looking at the variety of "Dream Cameras" here, I'm not sure such an agreement is possible. :-)

10"Circut
    with
    lifetime
    supply
    of
    film!
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

ok, no plastic phillips. any new developments in composite wood?

Drew Wiley

Well, a 5x7 Ebony is almost mythical as far as I'm concerned. All the Ebony I could afford was the 4x5, which constitutes the second dream camera I already own.
    The third dream camera I also own is a beautiful 4x5 Sinar Norma with original mint tapered bellows. I'll probably take it for a walk this weekend and give my Phillips the day off. Want to work with that Lonnnnng monorail. As far as new composites, take a look at what Chamonix and possibly Wilderness are doing.

In 2007 at the Houston Camera Show I had the chance to buy a 5x7 Ebony (in Ebony wood) for $1500 from a West Coast dealer. It was the most beautiful gorgeous camera I ever saw. I came close to buying it but decided 5x7 wasn't for me. I'm still kicking myself.

A friend was emptying a house prior to sale, and is bringing me a Polaroid Big Shot. I never heard of it or saw one, but it sure sounds great to me. I always like my latest camera best...http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Polaroid_Big_Shot
    Tin Can

Ebony 11x14. Since I don't have $15,000 and can't wait 18 months for one I decided to make one. I'll show it when it's done. I'm way beyond the stainless steel threading I posted about. It's really simple, just take half a grand and buy quarter sawn, straight grain, well seasoned (10 years) Rosewood and Ebony with legal paperwork. Then buy a few hundred dollars of metal, also with engineering sheet and country of origin. Add stainless steel knobs made in Germany and American made gears and racks. Collect a ground glass, bought it a few years ago, and stainless steel clips to hold the glass. Add two stainless steel back springs made for 11x14. Add fasteners, adhesive, and finishing materials. Balance the design, tooling, and expertise to the overall concept and keep the precision high. Tooling is expensive enough but compared to a shop full of tools it's incidental. Oh, add a bellows!

I wonder why the Ebony is so expensive?