Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Epson 2450 scanner

Epson 2450 scanner

Don H - I think you want to watch both what the scanner/software combo is capable of, and what the image editing software will support. With Photoshop, for example, only the latest version, CS, is capable of using all the tools in 16bit/chanel mode. Particularly with "Levels" adjustments, being able to do that in 16bit/chanel mode makes a world of difference.

Vuescan gets rave reviews from most scanner users as being the least expensive software capable of excellent scans. Silverfast is the more commercial product that gets similar kudos from users, but buying it retail is quite expensive. The (then) latest version of Silverfast came bundled with my 3200 Pro, but that isn't always the case. The added convenience with Silverfast is that it functions as a plug-in to Photoshop, so scanning and editing is done within the confines of Photoshop itself.

Epson 2450 scanner

"With Photoshop, for example, only the latest version, CS, is capable of using all the tools in 16bit/channel mode. Particularly with "Levels adjustments, being able to do that in 16bit/chanel mode makes a world of difference."

I believe that levels (and curves) have been usable in 16 bit since at least Photoshop 6, maybe earlier.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Epson 2450 scanner

Several older scanners, including the Agfa Arcus, Nikon Coolscan, and Leaf 45, had 16-bit capability before Photoshop. But just because they have 16-bit capability doesn't mean that they produce a useful 16-bit range in reality (the Leaf did.)

I'm curious why a poster said the Epson 3200 was not a step up from the 1680? Cryptic remark...

Epson 2450 scanner

>I believe that levels (and curves) have been usable in 16 bit since at least Photoshop 6, maybe earlier.

Yes but with Photoshop CS 16 bit adjustment layers - curves, levels and more - are now available.
    John V.
    ScanHi-End Moderator