Thread: Photgraphing a boa constrictor and its master

Photgraphing a boa constrictor and its master

I'm not making this up.

I've agreed to photograph a gentleman and his quite large boa constrictor. The photos will be done sometime this week outdoors, in early morning, late evening or overcast light. Some of the photos will be done in black and white. However, he (the owner, not the snake) has just told me that he wants to do some colour shots because the snake is not just brown, but has iridescent blue/green highlights. He says that previous attempts to capture this on film have failed. I did not notice the iridesence when I met the snake on a sidewalk, but perhaps that is because the meeting was very brief.

In any event, here is my question. Short of referring the snake and its master to Richard Avedon for a variation on a famous Avedon shot, what can I do to capture the elusive iridescence?

Try using a UV (blacklight) source to bring out the iridescence. That's just a guess on my part (it works for tropical aquarium fish). Cheers

"I did not notice the iridesence when I met the snake on a sidewalk"

Was he taking the snake out for a drag? Or maybe a slither...?

hehehe

Sorry, I couldn't resist...

Not all boas are iridescent. That said, the iridescence is a funtion of the refraction of light from their scales. Assuming the snake is in a lethargic mood, my suggestion would be to try to enlist the assistance of a couple of people with small (rectangular perhaps?) mirrors to reflect additional light on the snake's body at an angle such that the iridescence can be seen from the camera position. I have no idea what the angle of refraction is, but having had snakes in the past, I'm familiar with what he's talking about.

I think Ralph had the right idea. One of our sons has a boa and it has the same highlights but you have to catch the light just right. Somewhat like mother of pearl. The mirrors sound good but you will have to be carefull about contrast. If you have a polaroid back this would be perfect to check out the lighting you are looking for prior to the shot. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

You should hire an enhanced stripper for a second shot - how often does the right Boa come along.

Baby oil the humans so they matche the snake somewhat.

Frank,

As I understand it, Avedon's problem with his photo of Natassja Kinski had less to do with baby oil on the human than the snake-handler's control of his charge

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

I'm a LFer that has 5 pet snakes of my own, including two boas. To capture the beautiful iridesence, it is best to photograph the snake within 24 hour of it shedding its skin. The colors will also be the brightest at this time. Adult boas shed anywhere from 2-6 times per year, so you may have to wait. Ask the owner to see when it shed last. Apart from this, it helps to have nice side lighting, and misting the snake with a spray bottle can also help. You may just have to experiment to get the best results. Good luck! (By the way- don't handle any rabbits or rodents before the shoot- you could end up as it's next meal!
    Brian Vuillemenot