Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Photographing old architecture

Re: Photographing old architecture

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin J. Kolosky View Post
    Or maybe don't read anything, walk into the buildings and spend a lot of time with them, see what you see, and then photograph it.
    Kevin, maybe that is the best answer... Thank you.
    Website of sorts, as well as flickr thing.

Funny- i just re-shot Evans' 'sea of stairs' photo a few weeks back.

as for the main question you had - I would STRONGLY recommend picking up Paul Wainwright's book 'colonial meeting houses of new england' or something along those lines. He's on the web. Stunning and fastidious work in a more 'traditional' vein. But the rigor really pays off...

ps - his prints are just unbelievable...if you get a chance to look at one... DO IT!

Quote Originally Posted by JW Dewdney View Post
    as for the main question you had - I would STRONGLY recommend picking up Paul Wainwright's book 'colonial meeting houses of new england' or something along those lines. He's on the web. Stunning and fastidious work in a more 'traditional' vein. But the rigor really pays off...

ps - his prints are just unbelievable...if you get a chance to look at one... DO IT!
    Thanks, I'll have a look at it.. One trouble is that there are very few possibilities to see prints by these masters round these parts...

I really liked the video and slide show mentioned in this blog. They're by and about a photographer named Robert Borowiec, who I had never heard of before. His statement in the video that he gets nothing out of photographing something just because it's old and dilapidated really hit home with me because that's exactly what I used to do years ago. Today he (and I though I'm nowhere as good as he is) try to find an idea or a point or something else that makes the photograph more than just a document of what an old building looks like. Try the video, it's only 4 minutes, if you like it try the slide show.

http://reciprocity-failure.blogspot....ec-update.html

As an aside, I liked the name of the blog. Years ago I belonged to a photography group that called themselves The Reciprocity Failures.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Drew Wiley

Thank you for that Wainwright link. New to me and looks delicious. But it's his Mt Washington frozen stuff that I'd really like to see actual prints of.

Yes- you definitely should look into it Drew. Most of his subject matter isn't really my 'thing' but honestly his prints are SO GOOD I'm thinking of buying one just for the sake of reference - to inspire me before I go into the darkroom to rise to the occasion...

I agree with the recommendation about Paul Wainwright's work - it is stunning.

Another photographer who has done very similar work is Steve Rosenthal. His book 'White on White' features New England Churches.

A photographer who frequently posts on this forum in Ed Richards who has done some fabulous work in the New Orleans area.

And there was a group of photographers in Texas that had a collaborative effort they called the Texas Church Project in which they photographed some of the old churches in Texas. Sadly, the group has moved on to other things and I believe that one of the group has passed away.

Another photographer who has done a lot of work in this genre is Tillman Crane. His first book (Structure) was exclusively old architecture and should be relatively easy to locate. His two books on Scotland (Touchstone and Odin Stone) blend old architecture with landscape, but because they were limited editions, they are much harder to locate.

For external architecture, I've found that looking at what other people have done didn't help me much. You do have to understand the basics of how to use a larger format view camera. Often the most difficult thing is to find a good position from which to take the picture. Sometimes, there is only one position which will work, but otherwise spending a lot of time walking around with a cardbard frame to see what you can see from different positions with different focal length lenses is necessary.

In my experience, internal architecture is much more difficult and that is where seeing what masters have done will be most useful.

Richard M. Coda

I am not, generally, a fan of "re-photography"... I tend to enjoy photographing things that no one else wants to photograph. That said, I am not a fan of the "Klett" re-photographic surveys, especially the most recent iteration (where they actually digitally paste AA and EW images on top of their images)... but I was in Restoration Hardware this past weekend with my wife (in Scottsdale, AZ). Beautiful building... they tore down a Sonoma Deli or something stupid like that and re-built a store across the street from their old location... really did a nice job. But what REALLY caught my eye was a $40 book, and I can't remember the name or find it on their website, but it was a re-photographic survey of Berenice Abbott's work in NYC... really well done...
    Photographs by Richard M. Coda
    my blog
    Primordial: 2010 - Photographs of the Arizona Monsoon
    "Speak softly and carry an 8x10"
    "I shoot a HYBRID - Arca/Canham 11x14"

Quote Originally Posted by Leonard Evens View Post
    In my experience, internal architecture is much more difficult and that is where seeing what masters have done will be most useful.
    Well, and I have to say that these interiors are what interests me most - all those odd corners rarely touched by human feet or brooms... :-) I've never felt too much inclined to make images of buildings - however beautiful or interesting - from the outside. And if so, then it was some detail that cought my interest - doors or stairs... I always felt that there is no point FOR ME to make these images - others have done it so much better - either in pure "documentary" or "topographical" way or even in the artistic rendering like Sugimoto or felow forum user and excellent photographer Claudio Santambrogio aka csant here...