Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Photographing old architecture

Photographing old architecture

In the last couple of months I find myself being more and more interested in photographing architecture - mostly old buildings - churches, cloisters and such.
    I have been looking around trying to find some (preferably large format) photographers who are working in this field - not to copy their work or anything - just to see what could be done, what approaches are used etc.. - in a word, just to broaden my horizon and see a new thing or two.
    So far, I have not been very successful. I have found David Heald and his Architecture of Silence and not much besides. Therefore I am asking

- Are there any names that are worth looking into?
    - Any good books on the subject? Not only photo-books - textbooks and essays are also more than welcome.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
    Website of sorts, as well as flickr thing.

Re: Photographing old architecture

I cannot answer your question directly, but I do know that the Czech Republic has some excellent libraries and if I were embarking upon such a project, I would immerse myself in information and pictures of all Czech architecture. Consider doing a re-photography project comparing early works (and drawings) to the same places today, even if the architecture pictured has disappeared.

I rather envy your opportunity.

I suggest looking at the early 20th century British photographer Frederick Evans. He can be easily googled, but if you ever have the chance to see his original platinum prints, do whatever it takes to get there. Oh my, he was good.....

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Jac, thanks! It is a good idea - and I have to shamefacedly admit one that I have not thought about... Maybe it is partly because of the laziness of digital age...

Anyway, the re-photography idea really does not sound bad.. I will have to make some research into this... However, I seem to be mostly interested in romanesque and gothic architecture and have a considerable dislike towards baroque - which is rather omnipresent here. But that may make the challenge even more interesting - trying to find what's left untouched...

Thanks again - this only shows how useful can be to ask even simple questions...

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wasserman View Post
    I suggest looking at the early 20th century British photographer Frederick Evans. He can be easily googled, but if you ever have the chance to see his original platinum prints, do whatever it takes to get there. Oh my, he was good.....
    Thank you, Richard - I never heard of him - first google search looks very interesting - reminds me of "our" Josef Sudek and his St. Vitus Cathedral.

Drew Wiley

Evans was an early master at creating a sense of interior atmosphere and space. He made platinum prints. A modern master who works with a lot of old cloisters etc
    in a rather dramatic style with modern VC paper is Roman Loranc. For a more surreal look, reminiscent of Atget, I'd check out Philip Trager of NYC.

Thank you, Drew.. I started reading some essays on Evans, looks very interesting to me - his work - from those first glances - seems to reflect somehow the "aesthetics" that is not wholly contemporary with our age but maybe more with the age of the builders of the cathedral. As I have studied theology and have been reading on the attitude between theology and aesthetics I find this very interesting indeed.

I am very well aware of Roman Loranc's work - quite a lot of his architectural work is in fact from Poland, which is not that different from this country..

Thanks for the tip on Philip Trager, I'll check him out.

Look also at the work of Bruce Barnbaum his work on UK Cathedrals is amazing.

Cheers Armin

I think it depends a lot on what you're trying to accomplish. But for a more "contemporary approach" to architectural photography you might take a look at Iwan Baan's work if you haven't already. http://www.iwan.com/iwan_index.php
    Last edited by Brian Ellis; 25-May-2013 at 08:28.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Kevin Kolosky

Or maybe don't read anything, walk into the buildings and spend a lot of time with them, see what you see, and then photograph it.