Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Linhof Technika for Medium Format Film

Drew Wiley

Re: Linhof Technika for Medium Format Film

Rollfilm backs can be fussy to use. They are bulkier and heavier than a regular filmholder, so can tug on a weak back due to simple gravity. This smaller format is
    also a lot fussier to focus on the GG than 4x5, so things get nitpicky. And not all rollfilm holders did a good job keeping the film plane flat. It just depends on how
    precise you need to be. But if you want to simulate true LF results you'll want both camera and holder to be very well made. All I do under such circumstances is
    use Horseman rollfilm holders on my Ebony 4x5 folder; but Ebony is a relatively expensive brand. I've seen a lot of Horseman metal technical cameras at very good
    prices nowadays, even in good condition. There are beautifully made but a bit restrictive in terms of what focal lengths they'll accept. Baby Technikas are a bit more
    versatile (at least the later ones), but can command steep prices. And they won't be any lighter than some decent field 4x5's, which of course can be used with
    ordinary 4x5 sheet film holders as well as rollfilm backs.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Dickerson View Post
    The Graphics are nice but really don't offer a useful range of movements (let the flaming begin).
    I like my little Graphics but you're right about their lack of movements. Front rise is all they have that's generally usable.

If you want to go wide, you're rather restricted with what you can do in MF with folders. You may be better off using a 4x5 body, with 4x5 lenses, for the wide stuff and roll film for the rest.
    There won't be nearly as much of a weight penalty to this regime as you might expect.
    The other thing that comes to mind is that there's a plethora of purpose-built MF cameras for the wide angle niche, some with camera moves. Many pages devoted to hacking Mamiya Press and Graflex XL's for the task; the Mamiyas have posts for back moves and perspective control.
    Too, before buying a 40 or 50 year old Linhof MF Technika, I'd suggest looking at the availability of replacement bellows for it. There are Chinese replacement bellows for the 4x5 MTs but perhaps not for some of the others. Too, the cost of the bellows new from Linhof (if available yet) may set you back on your heels. It's unlikely that the original bellows on an old Linhof is going to hold up this long, and may again need replaced within a decade or so of use. (If you have few or no inexpensive off-the-shelf Linhof bellows options, you might find a second WA camera for the similar money to OEM or custom bellows, for instance)

thanks for all the info! @ mark sampson, can you post a link to the 2,3 technika review, i cant find it.

Despite the limitations in movements when using wide-angle lenses and the heavy metal camera body, I really like the Linhof Technika IV 6x9. I use the camera with 3 cammed lenses (65-100-180mm), two rollfilm-backs (one 6x7, one 6x9) and 6 double filmholders. The system simply covers my needs toward MF-photography, which is totally personal, of course.
    The Technika 6x9 review is here: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...chnika-23.html

Quote Originally Posted by mark.s View Post
    thanks for all the info! @ mark sampson, can you post a link to the 2,3 technika review, i cant find it.
    Just bear in mind, this is a review of the Technika IV. Not the muck improved V or the even better, for short lenses, V 23b. Also consider the Technika 70 2x3 version.