Thread: What is going on with my instant film? (Link to sample photo included)

What is going on with my instant film? (Link to sample photo included)

Every time I try to take a photograph with my Fuji Instant Holder PA-45 using Fuji FP-100c instant film on my Graphic View, I get this black bar. I have taken several photos using different packs of instant film and I always get the same results (a black bar on my photo). Here is a link to a sample of one of my instant film photo prints:

http://imgur.com/kI8CDYM

I also shoot standard negative 4x5 film and they come out great, here's an example:

http://imgur.com/tgYeP6Z

So I don't think it's a problem with my shutter or anything. My best guess at the moment as in what's wrong with my instant film holder/instant film is it's not properly placed. Also when I take a photo and pull the white tab out, the next tab never comes out. I always have to go in a dark room and open the instant film holder to grab the white tab and pull it a bit so I can pull it out on my next photo.

Thank you so much for reading, any advice or speculation would be appreciated!

-Joe

Re: What is going on with my instant film? (Link to sample photo included)

...Fuji Instant Holder PA-45 using Fuji FP-100c instant film...
    This can get confusing, so...just to make sure we're all on the same page.
    When using Fuji, FP100c, (3.25 X 4.25), instant pack film, you use a Fuji PA-145,
    or Polaroid 405 film back...not the Fuji PA-45 back.

The Fuji PA-45 or Polaroid 550 backs are used with Fuji, FP100c45, (4 X 5) instant pack film.
    Two (2) different sizes of film...requiring two different sizes of backs.

Having said that...stating that you need to use a dark bag to reposition each film tab,
    it appears you may have over complicated the loading process.

Go to YouTube and watch any video that demonstrates the loading of either size Fuji,
    instant pack-film, into any [appropriately] sized, instant pack-film back.

Marc

Quote Originally Posted by Marc B. View Post
    Just to make sure we're all on the same page. When using Fuji, FP100c, (3.25 X 4.25),
    instant pack film, you use a Fuji PA-145, or Polaroid 405 film back...not the Fuji PA-45 back.

The Fuji PA-45 or Polaroid 550 backs are used with Fuji, FP100c45, (4 X 5) instant pack film.

Marc
    Would FP100C paper actually fit in PA-45 back?

I wonder if the film pack has been loaded correctly from how Joe has described.

This can get confusing, so...just to make sure we're all on the same page.
    When using Fuji, FP100c, (3.25 X 4.25), instant pack film, you use a Fuji PA-145,
    or Polaroid 405 film back...not the Fuji PA-45 back.

Two (2) different sizes of film...requiring two different sizes of backs.

Having said that...stating that you need to use a dark bag to reposition each film tab,
    it appears you may have over complicated the loading process.

Go to YouTube and watch any video that demonstrates the loading of either size Fuji,
    instant pack-film, into any [appropriately] sized, instant pack-film back.

Marc
    Thanks to your clarification I just realized I have the wrong size instant film. I always thought the size or design was a little awkward. It's a bit confusing because all the numbers are very similar. I will buy the properly sized film, and hopefully that will solve the case of the black bar! It was such a silly mistake on my end, but to learn you gotta make mistakes right? Marc, I'm very grateful for your help, thank you!

I'm providing some images to show the wrong film pack (FP-100c) with the PA-45 back.

http://imgur.com/a/woH8f

Glad to be of help.

Unfortunately...there is more bad news.
    I will buy the properly sized film...
    Fuji discontinued production of all their 4 X 5 instant pack-film...last year.
    They now only produce the 3.25 X 4.25 size instant pack-film.

Prices for the remaining, 4 X 5 pack-film, has doubled or tripled in price.
    What once cost $26-$35 a pack, (in 4 X 5), now regularly exceeds $75 per pack.

Conversely...the prices of the PA-145 or Polaroid 405 backs, for use on LF sheet film cameras,
    (for 3.25 X 4.25 pack-film), have now, also...doubled or tripled in price.

Prices for instant, pack-film backs, for MF cameras, have remained somewhat constant;
    as MF cameras only ever used the smaller, 3.25 X 4.25 instant, pack-film size.

Marc

Glad to be of help. Unfortunately...there is more bad news.

Fuji discontinued production of all their 4 X 5 instant pack-film...last year.
    They now only produce the 3.25 X 4.25 size instant pack-film.

Prices for the remaining, 4 X 5 pack-film, has doubled or tripled in price.
    What use to cost $26-$35 a pack, (in 4 X 5), now regularly exceeds $75 per pack.

Conversely...the prices of the PA-145 or Polaroid 405 backs, for use on sheet film cameras,
    (for 3.25 X 4.25 pack-film), have now, also...doubled or tripled in price.

Prices for instant, pack-film backs, for MF cameras, have remained somewhat constant;
    as MF cameras only ever used the smaller 3.25 X 4.25 instant, pack-film size.

Marc
    As I did my research, I have discovered the bad news that you mentioned here. Shooting on instant was more of a novelty for me, and it's a good way to learn. Unless I can find a PA-145 cheaply, looks like my days of shooting LF instant film are over.

I shoot FP100C and FP3000B regularly with a polaroid 405 back - no issues - still they don't seem to be cheap either anymore.
    -- Mike Fiction
    homepage: http://www.mikefiction.com
    photo blog: http://mikefiction.tumblr.com