Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pyrocat Staining Developers

Pyrocat Staining Developers

Pardon if this was posted before. I have a few questions about Pyrocat staining developers. I've seen a lot of people here uses these developers with brilliant results! That is why i like to try it for 120, 4x5 and soon 8x10.

I went on B&S site and their prices looks very nice. (ie: http://www.bostick-sullivan.com/cart...cat=406&page=1)

The Pyrocat HD developer kit for $29.00 + shipping. It is a 50 Litre working solution kit. I think that's a lot compare to the developers i've used before and available here in Iran. (ie: kodak d76 and ilford id-11, ilfosol s). These are far more cheaper i think. Did i read their info right?

So, for 50 litre working solution, i could develop like atleast 100 rolls of 120 films or 300 4x5 sheets using mod54 and paterson system 4 3 reel tank (1000ml tank). Am i correct?

How's the sheflife of these developers? I'm planning to use Pyro on Ilford, Foma, Kodak films and hopefully X-ray films. Are these developers forgiving with any kind of films?

I'm very curious if it's possible to ship these kits internationally without problem. I can't find the MSD sheet on their site. I hope the components are not a banned substance or something. I don't like any problems here. I managed to get liquid chems from Moersch without any problem with customs. So far.

Thank you very much!

Re: Pyrocat Staining Developers

If you need to keep the developer for awhile, investigate the versions that use glycol. I just developed some film today in Pyrocat MC in glycol that I bought a couple of years ago. Everything went well.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Thanks Peter. I would be needing TF4 or Alkaline fixer to match with the Pyro Developer right? Are there any other alternatives?

Any non-hardening fixer is OK. I prefer to use plain sodium thiosulfate (hypo).

I use Rapid Fix, i.e. ammonium thiosulfate, without any added acid. It works fine.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

tenderobject,

If you get a chance, pick up the book "The Book of Pyro " by Gordon Hutchins. It contains many different Pyro formulas.

Also, you may want to check out the unblinkingeye.com website.

You might also check into buying bulk chemicals and mixing your own pyro-based developers. You would avoid the cost of shipping the water in which the stock solution is mixed halfway across the world. You might even be able to purchase the bulk chemicals in either of the countries in which you live.

Pyrocat HD in glycol seems to last indefinitely and yes--it's really inexpensive. I use it for most of my film and it works beautifully. Shipping the Pyrocat shouldn't be too expensive, it comes in two 500 ml plastic bottles. TF-4 on the other hand, will cost a fortune. Best to mix a non-hardening alkaline fixer locally. I Just started mixing my own Pyrocat HD, and although it's easy, it's not like you're going to save much money unless you use developer by the gallon.

Is it really less expensive to mix your own alkaline fixer? My impression was that the primary ingredient, ammonium thiosulfate IIRC, is both expensive and not easy to find. If you buy it from the Formulary, you are buying it from the same source as TF-4.

TF-4 isn't expensive, but international shipping will cost a fortune. It costs a lot just to ship domestically.