Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Silent cross country walking trip with a 4x5

Re: Silent cross country walking trip with a 4x5

Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    Or crossing the country without talking to anyone along the way when you could. paintball isn't violence, it's an adrenaline sport.
    Excellent point.
    The vow of silence thing is what bugs me about this whole spectacle, it just makes no sense except in the context of drawing more attention to him.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Excellent point.
    The vow of silence thing is what bugs me about this whole spectacle, it just makes no sense except in the context of drawing more attention to him.
    Well, the point of Performance Art is to draw attention to the performer ... otherwise it is truly pointless.

And you'll have to admit he's started a lot of people not only thinking but talking passionately about what he's going to do even before doing it.

Being a verbal, literate person I know what I already know. I don't know what you know. I need to listen to gain knowledge not speak. For some reason the brain receiver does not work when the send mode is running. I can and will help the silent one. I do think I will miss a lot I could learn. As the Wife department says... artistic People are Different... And some very unique. Silence seems to remove a portion of the sharing and with that a bit of what I might learn. Selfish me I suppose..

Quote Originally Posted by gleaf View Post
    Being a verbal, literate person I know what I already know. I don't know what you know. I need to listen to gain knowledge not speak. [... snip excellent post ...]
    Being late-life deaf person of adequate literacy I do not often speak at all because it is futile. I wish I had adopted the same practice forty-something years ago.

OMG! I just 'spoke'.

Quote Originally Posted by gleaf View Post
    Being a verbal, literate person I know what I already know. I don't know what you know. I need to listen to gain knowledge not speak.
    Not to go all categorical imperative or anything, but: since the same is true for all of us, that's a very selfish way to live.
    SINAR F+ 4x5 wearing a Fujinon 150/5.6 W

4 days to go and $642 short of the $8,000 goal

I'm 16,000 miles into a trip around the country living in a Chevy cargo van. 4x5, 5x7, and Canon 6D attached.

The whole POINT is to talk to people. The stories are wonderful, and the experiences life-changing. I've seen many alligators and met Jimmy and Rosalyn Carter. I've eaten alligator and Gullah Grub. I've walked the beaches of the Outer Banks and visited the Jersey Shore after Sandy. I've seen five of the most beautiful women I've ever seen outside a bar in Key West...except they weren't. I spent three hours talking to a radiologist in New Orleans at a bar over fried catfish. I drove the Natchz Trace and the Spanish Moss-lined roads in the SC low country.

And except for a short time in Louisiana, I have yet to cross the Mississippi. That's next, poised as I am in Wisconsin.

The silence part wouldn't work for me, and would deprive me of many, many fine experiences. I wish him well, and will give him a ride if he wants. All he has to do is nod.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

Where in Wisconsin are you, Bruce?

Drew Wiley

Gas is a bit expensive and time a bit limited for me right now; and I'm mainly a backpacker when I do get somewhere. But one thing I miss about the road is stopping
    in little hole-the-wall breakfast joints and striking up conversations with the locals. Often they'd tip me off about some secret location I shouldn't miss. And I just
    enjoy touching base with my own rural roots from time to time. Often the food was good a very generous - much better than you get in those highway franchises.

I spent eight days in the desert at Shiprock last week. I didn't talk to myself and spent the bulk of that time alone, but I didn't avoid talking to folks when I needed to. Great folks all around. It was enough solitude without pushing it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7694.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	97067