Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Silent cross country walking trip with a 4x5

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Silent cross country walking trip with a 4x5

I opened the paper at lunch today (the 4x5 camera picture immediately jumped out at me) and found a local guy is going to be walking across the country. Seems he will document the trip with a 4x5 camera. He also plans to not speak as he takes the year long trip. I'm not sure I understand his reasoning, but it's still interesting.

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/news/...-birthday.html

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Re: Silent cross country walking trip with a 4x5

It’s a big first step in what Hindy hopes will be a future of performance art, an interest he gained while studying cognitive science at Yale.
    “Performance art is about communicating through an action, and trying to make a statement,” he said.
    Ok, so it's a sort of mime performance. But walking with a view camera in a stroller, funded by Kickstarter. I wonder how many photographs he intends to make on his journey.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

The only people even crazier than he is, are those who donated money to him. What a *****ng waste -- for this he needs a degree from Yale?
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

No, he isn't crazy. This is absolutely beautiful.
    It's perfectly possible he won't manage- accidents happen, we sometimes find ourselves weaker than we imagine, but he is planning to devote a year to testing himself. By the end he will know more about himself and his weaknesses than ever before. He might produce great photos, he might not, but that isn't really the point. Was there really a point to building the pyramids, or going to the moon? Is there really any 'point' to thousands of people running the London or New York marathons? The point is the experience itself, and I wish him well (even though my approval, and your disapproval probably mean nothing to him).

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Robertson View Post
    No, he isn't crazy. This is absolutely beautiful.
    It's perfectly possible he won't manage- accidents happen, we sometimes find ourselves weaker than we imagine, but he is planning to devote a year to testing himself. By the end he will know more about himself and his weaknesses than ever before. He might produce great photos, he might not, but that isn't really the point. Was there really a point to building the pyramids, or going to the moon? Is there really any 'point' to thousands of people running the London or New York marathons? The point is the experience itself, and I wish him well (even though my approval, and your disapproval probably mean nothing to him).
    'Well said................I think its beautiful too.................not a waste.....would love to do it but with the talking............and my 5 x 7

I see from his route he started walking Northeast, perhaps to put the really heavy winds at his back. Truck wind blast is a big problem for him. We talked of wind and birds, both topics any exposed traveller is well aware of.
    Tin Can

Silent cross country walking trip with a 4x5

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    We
    talked of wind and birds, both topics any exposed traveller is well aware of.
    Birds! And country dogs. A peace-love kinda friend who was also a bicycle pro celebrated the end of his conscientious objector alternative service in 1969 by riding one of his bicycles from my place in Chicago (Lincoln & Fullerton, Randy) to Massachusetts to marry his sweetheart.

When they both returned to Chicago we met for our ritual chess and beer session. His adventure cracked him. He said that between the harassment from territorial Red Wing black birds and ankle biting farm dogs he was considering the carry of a firearm next time. There was not a next time. So much for passive resistance.

Ron Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    The only people even crazier than he is, are those who donated money to him. What a *****ng waste -- for this he needs a degree from Yale?
    The degree from Yale is the tipoff.

Quote Originally Posted by gevalia View Post
    Really?! Do most Yale students traditionally do such incredible things, connect with people one-on-one across the country, photograph with LF, and all?! Maybe I should talk to my son who is thinking of going to Stanford or Harvard. If I can't afford to send him to Stanford, might as well not afford to send him to Yale!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by gevalia View Post
    why is this?