Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Light/Flash meter

Light/Flash meter

I am looking for a light/flash meter. Something that I can use out in the field, for example, for shooting landscapes, architecture, etc, and another for studio work (think: strobes), portraits, still life, table-top, you get the idea. I have also read that, if one is planning to use the Zone System, which I am, a special meter is needed.

Anyway, I guess what I'm looking for is a meter that "does it all". Does such a thing exist? I don't have the room to store too much stuff, so I'd rather get something I can use for all kinds of photography. I don't want to put a price tag on this because if there is something good that meets my needs, I don't want the money to stop me from getting it. Cheaper is always better, but if something expensive exists, I am willing to make the investment.

Thanks.
    --Mario

Re: Light/Flash meter

Sekonic makes an all-in-one exposure meter (flash, ambient, reflected, incident and spot), the L-758, in a few variants. Previous models that do (mostly) the same stuff are the L-608 and L-508 and there might have been an L-558 as well, which you should be able to find used. Another option would be an ambient/flash meter that accepts a spot attachment. Gossen at least used to make such attachments for the old Luna-Pro meters, and Sekonic makes a spot attachment for the L-358.

For landscapes with the zone system most people would probably recommend getting a 1 degree spotmeter. The real big differences between meters for landscape is the amount of memory functions and if you want your meter to be able to average a scene etc.

With strobes it's kind of up to you how many functions you want. Newer meters have all kinds of metering modes, but if you do all the calculations yourself you can get by with a pretty simple meter that has a flash function. But I'm not the one to give advice for studio use. I have used mine in the studio, but are not in the studio daily.

I got a sekonic 558 about six months ago that I'm very happy with. It's easy to use and so far very reliable. It probably does all the stuff you want. It is an older model, but still reasonably easy to find. Probably goes for about $200-250.

Mario,

I 2nd the recommendation of Sekonic's offerings for meters.
    Personally, I use the L-358, and also have the pocketwizard module so I can wirelessly trigger strobes using PW's.
    You make mention about the "Zone System". Traditionally this is done with a SPOT METER. Usually a 5degree or less(1degree is preferred by many) is ideal. I have owned a few separate meters over the past few years, and in all honesty, the ones I enjoyed the most were the following:

Minolta IVf
    (f= ability to take flash readings, albeit no pocketwizard module, so manual triggering or via a PC cord connected to the meter)
    this meter takes AA battery(ies), very convenient and cheap compared to the cost of CR-123's on average.
    Sekonic L-358
    This is the meter I use primarily now. It is a very capable meter, and Sekonic makes some accessory attachments for it, including a few SPOT meter ones to use in lieu of the ambient white dome. I use this for both work(I'm a photo assistant here in LA) and for personal work(even with a view camera), and its delivered very consistent results in the time that I've owned it.
    Pentax Digital Spot
    Great meter, very accurate if calibrated correctly(as is the case with ANY meter, many neglect having their equipment calibrated correctly on a consistent, regular basis!). AMBIENT ONLY, NO FLASH METERING CAPABILITY. This limited its usefulness to me in some cases, where I NEEDED the ability to meter flash, in spot mode. For ambient, non-flash use, it would be my #1 choice.
    Sekonic L-778
    (NOT 758/758DR)
    This is one of those "got it all, almost" meters. It is a spot meter, but has a hotshoe, so if you use pocketwizards, you can just pop the PW in the hot shoe and meter away ! I had one, and sold it, but I plan on buying another. Its BIG, but it takes AA batteries, and is a nice compliment to the L-358.

My two picks if I was getting some meters:
    Sekonic L-778 + L-358
    Both are available on the used market, albeit the 778's don't come up very often anymore it seems.

cheers,
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Stone View Post
    Mario... (NOT 758/758DR) ...
    Dan
    Thanks Daniel. Very informative.

Now, a question, why do you emphasize "not 758/758dr"? Are those two not good meters or what?
    --Mario

Thanks Dave and JeRuFo as well.
    --Mario

Just to be slightly contrarian, there are advantages to having two meters, most obviously back-up if one breaks. I also have a suspicion that to make a "do everything" meter, one must make compromises over a more specifically designed one. But hypotheticals aside, my approach is to have two. I have a simple Sekonic L-308 meter for both incident and flash readings (but no spot attachments that I know of). Very small, convenient to use, they run $233 new at most of the big-name dealers, quite a bit less on eBay if you trust "direct from the Far East." I also have a Pentax Digital 1-degree spot meter, actually the original ZoneVI modified one that I've used for something like 30+ years. The Pentax is my "go-to" large format meter, the Sekonic is for flash, or when I can meter just as well with incident light as with the spot meter. I always carry both, "just in case." The Pentax pops up periodically in this forum's "For Sale" threads. I would probably recommend the Sekonic first, since they are easier to find, and cover all of your needs (you can do zone system with them, many of us simply find a spot meter easier, but the original zone system books were all based on incident meters.) The Pentax would come when you have the money, and the luck to find one first in the "for sale" threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lewin View Post
    Just to be slightly contrarian, there are advantages to having two meters, most obviously back-up if one breaks. I also have a suspicion that to make a "do everything" meter, one must make compromises over a more specifically designed one. But hypotheticals aside, my approach is to have two. I have a simple Sekonic L-308 meter for both incident and flash readings (but no spot attachments that I know of). Very small, convenient to use, they run $233 new at most of the big-name dealers, quite a bit less on eBay if you trust "direct from the Far East." I also have a Pentax Digital 1-degree spot meter, actually the original ZoneVI modified one that I've used for something like 30+ years. The Pentax is my "go-to" large format meter, the Sekonic is for flash, or when I can meter just as well with incident light as with the spot meter. I always carry both, "just in case." The Pentax pops up periodically in this forum's "For Sale" threads. I would probably recommend the Sekonic first, since they are easier to find, and cover all of your needs (you can do zone system with them, many of us simply find a spot meter easier, but the original zone system books were all based on incident meters.) The Pentax would come when you have the money, and the luck to find one first in the "for sale" threads.
    Peter, I understand about having two meters and using one as a backup. I have a Gossen Luna Pro that I intend to keep. So far, this has been my meter, but I do intend to work in the studio using the strobes, so you understand why I need a flash meter as well. However, I do want this new meter I'm getting to be able to "do it all."

Thanks.
    --Mario

I just gave up on my spotmeter (Capital/Soligor) and Lunasix to use a Sekonic 408, and might even sell the tiny L208, as the 408 does it all, including flash, and uses an AA cell. I had it for a few months an could not be happier.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gesell View Post
    Sekonic makes an all-in-one exposure meter (flash, ambient, reflected, incident and spot), the L-758, in a few variants. Previous models that do (mostly) the same stuff are the L-608 and L-508 and there might have been an L-558 as well, which you should be able to find used.
    I have a Sekonic L-558. It's an extremely good and versatile meter.

It does every kind of metering you might want, including ambient, reflected, flash, and mixed (ratio).
    It can integrate flash & ambient.
    It has both a broad view sensor and a 1° spot meter.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.