Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stepping down ...

Re: Stepping down ...

I sold everything off when my wife was pregnant

then later..it's taken me about 10 years to buy it all back...equivalents anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Matus Kalisky View Post
    Well, I am sorry to report that I failed (it is not a try failure, but it kinda feels that way) to revive my 4x5 activities. Part of that is because that we have our first child on the way and it unfortunately things do not go as smooth as one could wish for, but the remaining part is on me. I even bought 3 new Toyo film holders in summer and loaded them with some film and I got a Lowepro Mini Trekker AW to have a 'ready-to-shoot' 4x5 setup at hand - it never got used.

I will most certainly stay around and I will keep using MF (I am scaling down that too), but for now I need to take care of the most important there is - my family.

You will soon see lot's of stuff in the For Sale section (including a complete 4x5 setup, additional lenses. lens cases etc.).

Once the situation changes and the time and need for LF will strike back - I will not hesitate to follow that call. It is a unique way to look at the world around.

One camera, one lens (optional) ... is all one needs to make wonderful photographs.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    One camera, one lens (optional) ... is all one needs to make wonderful photographs.
    I completely agree. If I manage things right, than it could be Rolleiflex for me for the next few years.
    Matus

Just finishing the thread. Since all of my 4x5" gear is sold I though I will post one of my very last photographs (there were only 5 more in the course of nearly 2 years) I have taken with 4x5". This one is from Italy, Lago di Como, 2012. Really nice place to visit. Great cuisine too

Tachihara 4x5", Osaka 400/8, Kodak Ektar and polfilter. (some of my favourite 4x5" photographs were taken with this lens - I seem to be a 'long lens' guy )

As I said - I am NOT leaving photography (even if the activities are a bit played down since our daughter was born) - MF it is for now. And I seriously consider a 6x12 camera (Linhof or Horseman) - though they cost arm and leg so I am not in a hurry, but that could be the mid-way solution and I really like 1:2 format (I got Xpan recently and the 1:2.7 ration is often too much for my taste).

I will keep an eye on LFF - in particular the Image sharing section - so much different work that one one can see elsewhere.
    Matus

Matus,
    One of the great things about having a daughter......you'll never run out of subject matter.

Your path is like a lot of us. Photograph, put it away once children enter the picture (no pun intended) then return once the children become more independent. Enjoy your time focused on your children; we look forward to your return.
    John

Matus, Hi

6 x 12, a nice size but as you say it can be expensive

it can be done very cheaply, as here:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1812935497...84.m1439.l2649

at that price, there's little downside, plastic lenses or not, new versions are more than double that price, so I'm looking forward to having a play when it arrives

good luck, keep going, the best Camera to use is of course the one that you currently own, LF work is terrific but as has been said on here, it has to be a solitiary pursuit

best

andrew

Matus, When I became a father, my whole world shrunk as did my photography. But by the time my daughter was 17 she had me jumping out of a perfectly good airplane at about 12,000 feet. My oldest son, had pushed me up to the summits of Washington's 5 volcanoes. And I was back in the 4x5 world (not while summiting). Who knows what you'll be doing as you enjoy the adventures of fatherhood. Congratulations!

Large Format Rocks ImSoNegative's Avatar

I am seriously considering this as well, selling what I don't use, I have found myself shooting longer lenses rather than the wider angles for 4x5, I have a 75 and a 90 that seldom ever get used anymore, I hate that because my 90 was my go-to lens for a long time but not anymore, figured I might as well let someone else enjoy it
    "WOW! Now thats a big camera. By the way, how many megapixels is that thing?"

I think it does not make sense to keep what you do not use. As I learned the hard way - even some 4x5" items do not hold value that well.

Considering the longer lenses - when I look at the photos I have taken with my Mamiya 6 - I use mostly the 75 and 150 lenses. I find more challenging to get a strong composition with a wide lens.
    Matus