Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stepping down ...

Stepping down ...

Hello,

some may have noticed that my posts have become (even) less frequent in the past 2 or 3 years than before. The reason was that I found less and less time to shoot 4x5" (and using 6x6 much more often). Going through my logbook I have realized that I have been shooting 4x5 just 2 times last year. I even went as far as buying my 'dream' camera (Toyo VX125) in autumn, but guess what - I have used it only once ... The reason I was shooting much less was partially moving around and changing job (twice in last 2 years) and partially because if me and my wife go for a trip somewhere it is mostly very impractical to carry 4x5". I have sing long time realized that shooting LF in an enjoyable way requires solitude - it is not fun for the other person to wait standing behind your back and it is no fun for me to try to hurry as to inflict as little discomfort as possible.

Shooting so little had also negative impact on the results, which more often than not was simply lack of practice.

The 'time situation' is not about to change to the better as me and my wife plan/hope to have family and I am not going to fool myself into thinking that I will have more time for photography than I have now.

So after a long consideration I have come to conclusion, that at least for the foreseeable future it does not make sense to keep all the LF equipment and so I will be selling it all (2 cameras, several lenses, light meter + some bits and pieces) and concentrate on medium format (Mamiya 6 and maybe Mamiya 7 later on). Watch the classifieds for some LF stuff from EU.

I actually hope I will have the possibility to shoot LF again in the future - I would probably then go with larger format and contact printing (I enjoyed that part).

It does feel strange though (a lot like a failure, to be honest) - 4x5" was something I dreamed about for quite a while and then enjoyed immensely learning the basics - I was a PdD student back then. This forum was my main source of information and motivation. Thank you all for that.

Anyhow - I will keep an eye on this forum and maybe post a photo or two from the last ones of mine.
    Matus

Re: Stepping down ...

Unless you are shooting for money, photography should be fun. If the gear or the format get in your way, then why use it? It is not that you failed, it is that you realized what was more important to you and for that you should think of yourself as a sucess. Myself I do not shoot LF anywhere near as much as I think I should and do perfer using the Hasselblad. I am lucker than many as my wife also does photography and every once in a while she thinks she too is a LF photographer. It was her that wanted the 5X7 pinhole camera for example.

Good luck and best wishes.

Eric Biggerstaff

I was sorry to read this Matus.

I know you will be happy with medium format and the best camera is the one we use, so jsut keep on photographing. Remember however, great photographs are not always made far from home, many famous photographers made important images right in their homes or close to them. Ruth Bernhard made most of her famous images right in her apartment and others like Ray McSavaney photograph still life everyday at home. The point is, why give up something you like! Just find a way to make it work and be open to images that are closer to home. Keep the camera on a tripod with a lens on and you will be surprised how many images you find right in front of you.

Anyway, best wishes and keep checking in.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Matus, times change, people change. What satisfies and rewards us at one stage in our life can mean less, or even be a hindrance, at other times. A couple of years ago I shot mostly 5x4, recently lots of MF. I can recall a spell in the early 1990's I hardly took a photograph for several years. Work, family, all had to come first.
    As was said earlier, if you aren't shooting for money you must be shooting for love, so do whatever you enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Matus Kalisky View Post
    The ‘time situation’ is not about to change to the better as me and my wife plan/hope to have family and I am not going to fool myself into thinking that I will have more time for photography than I have now.
    Several threads are, “The kids are grown, they’re gone, I’m back.”

Good luck right up to that moment, Matus.

We’ll be expecting you.

I would not call it a failure, Matúš, everyone needs to find his own way.. And you are not giving up photography, are you.. You have found the tools that work for you and that is the most important bit of the story - and I think you are very brave to actually realize it and as you say - stop fooling yourself.
    I hope you'll find the way to enjoying LF soon - and if that could be of any encouragement for you - from my own experience - LF is not wholly incompatible with family - I am a young father of three small children (4, 2.5 and 1 y/o and during the last 4 years I not only moved into LF, but I "grew" from 4x5 to 5x7 and now I am just about to purchase an 8x10 camera. I don't need to use it every day. But it is there when I need to calm down, to make something creative. I took the LF gear to a family holiday - unpacked it only one morning when I went for a walk alone - but was content with that. I have it ready at home - and yesterday - I was alone with the kids for the whole weekend - I suddenly "discovered" a couple of compositions in our garden and spent a very enjoyable hour after I have put the kids to bed.. Printing isn't that bad also - it is not difficult to get away for 15 minutes to coat some paper in the afternoon - and be able to print a couple of negatives in the evening when they are all in bed.)
    Don't despair, get rid of the equipment that you feel is in the way, maybe replace it with something cheap and simple that you won't be thinking as a money stuck in something useless and that will give you chance to "exercise" when you feel like it - be it even once or twice a year.
    Website of sorts, as well as flickr thing.

Thanks for your support. You are correct - I am not doing it for money, I am doing it for fun. I am just no finding my time (for whatever reasons). But you are also correct that one does not need to travel long distances for a good photo opportunity. It seems that for several of you it really works to get the gear ready to go - makes me think. I will try to simplify my setup (down to 1 camera 1 or max 2 lenses, BW film and sell the rest) and have it all ready to go out - and try to grab it more often and see for this summer whether it works or not.

Thank you again - I am going back to basics for now
    Matus

Les

Don't know about you, but to me taking photos is sort of therapy, as well as looking at things differently and being creative. My 5x7 is in scaffolding mode (of sorts)....and I grabbed my long lens (digi FF) and went near the airport and was in a contemplative mood....and at one point it dawned on me that the planes that were descending have to take this long curvy approach....right through these beautiful puffy clouds. I took a chance and partially it was my luck, one of the aircraft that sort of disappeared in the blue sky....suddenly it appeared where the camera was pointing....the plane went though this short cloud (and on the photo) is partially visible pulling out of the cloud. No, I'm not padding myself on the back for being able to pull this off with manual settings and w/o motorized drive, it has to do with being there and enjoying the moment/s. OK, have I had a friend near me or significant other....I truely doubt that I could capture this unique moment. Indeed, we all know about distractions.

Anyway, don't try to split yourself. Enjoy family moments and when you can, also enjoy your passion....it usually lends itself to richer experiences.

Good luck to you.

Les

Matus, please stick around and post your MF work in the "Tiny Formats" thread. I'm not doing just a whole lot with LF right now, either, but I'm staying active here, anyway, because I've noticed that LF photographers have a unique and, I think, valuable way of seeing. It's relevant to all photography, not just the stuff with bellows and boards.

So, stick around. I'd love to continue seeing your work.
    SINAR F+ 4x5 wearing a Fujinon 150/5.6 W

Well, I am sorry to report that I failed (it is not a try failure, but it kinda feels that way) to revive my 4x5 activities. Part of that is because that we have our first child on the way and it unfortunately things do not go as smooth as one could wish for, but the remaining part is on me. I even bought 3 new Toyo film holders in summer and loaded them with some film and I got a Lowepro Mini Trekker AW to have a 'ready-to-shoot' 4x5 setup at hand - it never got used.

I will most certainly stay around and I will keep using MF (I am scaling down that too), but for now I need to take care of the most important there is - my family.

You will soon see lot's of stuff in the For Sale section (including a complete 4x5 setup, additional lenses. lens cases etc.).

Once the situation changes and the time and need for LF will strike back - I will not hesitate to follow that call. It is a unique way to look at the world around.
    Matus