Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Where to find Large format Camera Tripods on a student budget?

jadphoto

Re: Where to find Large format Camera Tripods on a student budget?

Mamiya America has a student/faculty purchase plan (Mac-On-Campus) that is free to registered students of accredited schools. They heavily discount Induro tripods. Also, Mamiya, Toyo, Pro Foto, and several other brands. Great educational content and webinars etc.

JD

Old School Wayne

I'm not sure anymore what model my Berlebach is, but its the slightest one that can support an 8x10. I use it with my Ansco 8x10, and while it is far from optimal, especially in wind, it does work.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    I'm not sure anymore what model my Berlebach is, but its the slightest one that can support an 8x10. I use it with my Ansco 8x10, and while it is far from optimal, especially in wind, it does work.
    The model number should be on one of the leg lock clamp metal bands.

Large Format Rocks ImSoNegative's Avatar

I have a bogen 3021 great tripod and not expensive at all, I purchased a 3047 head for it.
    "WOW! Now thats a big camera. By the way, how many megapixels is that thing?"

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Gordon Bilson View Post
    Back in the day,shooting 16mm sound on film,we used Miller wood tripods,with a levelling head. Light as a "Fever" (feather for you Yankees).
    Ball heads for LF are a certain road to frustration and despair.
    I purchased a used wood Miller tripod, for $50. These are extremely sturdy and can support a 8x10 Kodak 2D without any problems. The current head on this setup is a Gitzo no.4 that I picked up for less than $50.

It really all depends on how far you plan on carrying your equipment from you base or vehicle. Currently, I get winded just loading up my gear into my truck.

Recently I found little-used Linhof 003317 (marked "West Germany", thus old) twin shank tripod with the 1/4+3/8 plate for 90 Swiss francs, and a Sinar pan-tilt head (worn-looking, but perfectly functional) for 55 British pounds. Pretty solid combination, at least for a Sinar Norma with a 480mm Apo-Ronar.

Back to Tiltall. I have owned 3 over the years. The old original ones held my 8x10 2d securely, but the new ones wouldn't hold a Hasselblad securely.
    Probably the strongest and yet lightest weight is the Davis and Sanford. Three different sizes were made and all will do well with 8x10. However, the smaller ones may be too short for you. I currently use a mid-size one,I don't remember the model number,for my 7x17 and I can turn it vertically which I can not do with any other tripod.

Old School Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    The model number should be on one of the leg lock clamp metal bands.
    By Jove, it's a 4032 alright. I thought it was on there somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by ImSoNegative View Post
    I have a bogen 3021 great tripod and not expensive at all, I purchased a 3047 head for it.
    I'll second that one. Being a broke ass college student myself I managed to use that combo for 4x5 and 8x10 (the 8x10 was a Wista DX, pretty lightweight but that combo is too shaky for a Deardorff).

Depending on where you go to school, they may be able to get discounts from vendors like b&h etc. Also, if you haven't checked this place out, look up mac on campus (http://www.mac-on-campus.com/Shop.aspx). You have to do the rigmarole of scanning your student id and taking a screenshot of your most current completed semester and proof you're still a student, but they give a good discount on induro tripods. I have the AT213 model and it's great for 4x5, maybe even a lightweight 8x10.

Good luck !

come to the dark s(l)ide..... Carsten Wolff's Avatar
    Australia at the moment, Spain or UK one day perhaps

Bogen 3021/Manfrotto 055 is a great tripod. I recently bought a Gitzo and a Benbo, s/h for $50 each, but sold them again as the Manfrotto was great.
    http://www.jeffbridges.com/perception.html "Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you are right."