Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Freezer for Film

Re: Freezer for Film

So it seems the best thing is to vacuum pack and keep at 34f degrees, to control humidity primarily and slow chemical action secondarily.

And freezers need defrost fairly often over years and will cycle the film through temp changes.

Perhaps a fridge maintains a more even environment over the long term.

Quote Originally Posted by photobymike View Post
    The cost of a freezer over ten years vs the cost of film? i wonder if it is worth it....Its not a freezer you need.... The best temp to keep film at is just above freezing in a very sealed container...i have some tmax 8 years old that still works fine.... even my film fridge cost me at least 15 dollars a month
    Tin Can

Good advice moe .... If you can keep a freezer at 34 there would be no ice and it would be safe for polaroids .. I use my wife's "Seal A Meal" bag sealer.

Your advice, I was just repeating it!

Good advice moe .... If you can keep a freezer at 34 there would be no ice and it would be safe for polaroids .. I use my wife's "Seal A Meal" bag sealer.
    Tin Can

The cost of a freezer over ten years vs the cost of film? i wonder if it is worth it....Its not a freezer you need.... The best temp to keep film at is just above freezing in a very sealed container...i have some tmax 8 years old that still works fine.... even my film fridge cost me at least 15 dollars a month
    If you're lucky enough to be able to buy film locally at a reasonable price, or to anticipate your needs well, maybe so. In my case a freezer or at least refrigerator is worthwhile. I buy all my film online and stock up. Inevitably, some I can't use before expiration. Others, well, a sad fact of modern film life is that favorite films get canceled. I didn't buy a freezer full or anything but when Kodak quit making E6 I bought 10 rolls of E100G and some other assorted Ektachrome of various date ranges online. I shot up all the E100G (my favorite transparency film after Astia went away which I missed out on stocking up on) I found 10 more rolls in date and bought it. I've shot a couple of those. They're still in date but probably won't be by the time I shoot the last of it. For 100 speed films cold stored I pretty much don't worry about it. 400 is more variable but I have some obviously outdated Agfacolor Optima 400 in 220 I bought off eBay, supposedly frozen since new and frozen by me since I got it, and it's still flawless best I can tell.

Even super speed TMZ and Delta 3200 can be extended maybe a few months, though they don't keep well at all even frozen - but the keep better than they do NOT frozen (or not cold anyway.)

Quote Originally Posted by BarryS View Post
    What you need is the Holiday 5 cu ft. freezer at Lowes. $169 delivered to your house.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_75729-13247-...zer&facetInfo=

Attachment 95458
    Plus $79.00 delivery fee for the five mile trip. $169.00 picked up at the store.

I know Glazers in Seattle has a walk in refrigerator and I doubt they have a freezer because the film turns over. Do other outlets have these walk in type refrigerators; B&H, Adorama, Freestyle etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    Plus $79.00 delivery fee for the five mile trip. $169.00 picked up at the store.
    Nope, it was $169 delivered--no extra fees.

Correct me!

I have a huge lot of film of ASA (ISO) of 125 or less that has been in deep freeze (zero Fahrenheit) for twenty years .
    So is the consensus that it is all wasted?

Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    Curt, they show free delivery to my house, what did you do to piss off Lowes?

Roger

I'll be right over. You know I am kidding.

I have Ilford 5x7 Special Portrait 124 Panchromatic ASA 125 daylight of very unknown storage, I have had a year in my fridge. 2 sealed boxes of 100, sealed inside plastic bags since birth, I assume.

Since it lists ASA and DIN, I assume it is from 1972 or earlier, as the switch to ISO occurred then. From my recent research...I am warming a box up now, may as well test it out, and use it up. X-Ray film can wait. I forgot I had this.

But tonight is dedicated to my brand new old time 5X7 Champion contact printer. Never used one before. Good thing I have boxes of matching age paper... to burn.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Correct me!

I have a huge lot of film of ASA (ISO) of 125 or less that has been in deep freeze (zero Fahrenheit) for twenty years .
    So is the consensus that it is all wasted?
    Tin Can