Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preview mode of Crown Graphic

Preview mode of Crown Graphic

I got a Crown Graphic (special) 5x4 camera. Does someone know how to use the "pre-view" mode? I would like to see the image on the screen, focus and compose properly before inserting the negative holder and taking the picture. Appericiate your help.

Thanks Mehboob

Which lens do you have? Which shutter is it in?

There is a little tab (stainless, if i recall right) at the bottom of the screen. Press it and the focussing hood should pop open. Open the shutter, and look in the hood. The hood is also removable by pressing the springs at it's sides outward. Press in the sides of the hood inward to close it.

On a Pacemaker, anyway. Also www.graflex.org

As Jim says a little metal tab is pushed on the back of the camera. The tab is on the Graflex back. A metal viewing hood will open, and the ground glass can be seen. You must open the lens shutter, and set the lens opening to the largest opening, F4.5, F4.7, F6.3, whatever it is. Then the easiest way is to set the shutter to "T", and press the shutter release. The shutter will open, and stay open. You can use a press release also which is on some lenses. The "T" is the easiest. Now you can focus on the ground glass. You don't need a dark cloth but when the sun is low and behind you, you may want to take your shirt/jacket off and put it over the viewing hood and your head to see the upside down image better. When focused, close the hood, press the shutter release, the shutter will close. Set your Correct F stop and shutter speed, load the cut film holder, and away you go. Welcome to the wonderful world of Graflex Cameras. All the Best: Smitty

Why in the world would anyone say that the best way to open a shutter for preview is to set it on "T"? Absurd!
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Hi,

It really depends on your shutter. Certain shutters do not have a preview lever, others do not have a T, only B (.e.g Compur 00)

And if the lens is in barrel,

We can probably give better advice once we know which shutter you are using.

5x5 with 4x5

Why not do the looking yourself - do a search of the archives, or go to Q.T's main page. There is more help there than you could digest in a month.

THEN if you have such basic questions, come back and ask.

Thanks everyone for your encouraging remarks.

My lens is Schnieder 135 f/1:4.7. It does not have "T" but only "B". I move the shutter to "B" position, cock the shutter, then open the viewing hood and fire the shutter release. The image appears on the viewing screen but I have to keep holding the shutter release button with one finger while I focus and compose. Once done, I release the shutter, set the proper value of apperture & shutter, insert the sheet holder, cock the shutter and take the picture.

Is this the right way of doing things? or it could be simpler? As I come from 35 mm background (using Nikon FM3a right now), this process seems to be a bit tideous. But I am ready to learn if the results are rewarding.

I use Ilford FP4 monochrome film as I love B&W photography.

Will wait for your advice.

Thanks again

Mehboob, Nick and Lloyd asked you which shutter your lens is in. You haven't answered.

That was a serious question. Many, not all, shutters intended for use on press and view cameras have "shutter open" mechanisms that work at all shutter speeds. These mechanisms all embody much the same idea but implement it differently. If you won't tell us which shutter your lens is in, we can't know if your shutter has the mechanism. It its there, some one will be able to tell you how to use it.

Cheers,

Dan