Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Reason To Now Buy CS6?

Any Reason To Now Buy CS6?

I have Photoshop CS5. I was going to upgrade to Photoshop CS6 only because I didn't want to lose my ability to get upgrade discounts in the future (CS7, CS8, etc.) after Adobe switched to its "only one generation back" upgrade policy. There didn't appear to be anything in CS6 itself that was of any great interest to me. But now we know that CS6 will be the last version of Photoshop that one can buy so future upgrade discounts are no longer a reason to buy CS6 (AFAIK). I'm not going to subscribe to CC, I'll just stick with whatever final version of Photoshop I have.

So now I'm wondering whether it perhaps would be a good idea to buy CS6 just to have the final version of Photoshop that can be purchased even though I don't think I have any great use for it. I can't really think of a good reason to do that except that somehow it just seems like it's usually a good idea to have the latest version of software rather than older versions (e.g. compatibility with future operating systems, computers, etc.)

What do those of you more knowledgeable than I am about software, computers generally, Adobe's new policy, etc. think? Spring for $169 or whatever it is to buy the upgrade to CS6 even though I don't think I need it or just stick with CS5? No need to talk about subscribing, I'm not going to do that.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Preston Birdwell

Re: Any Reason To Now Buy CS6?

Brian,

I would upgrade to CS6. It's worth it for the Background Save feature, better memory management, and graphics performance. Content Aware Fill and the Patch Tool are also better than in CS5.

Also, as you state, "...to have the latest version of software rather than older versions (e.g. compatibility with future operating systems, computers, etc.) is another good reason to upgrade.

I am staying with CS6 until something equal to, or better than PS comes along.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by Preston View Post
    Brian,

I would upgrade to CS6. It's worth it for the Background Save feature, better memory management, and graphics performance. Content Aware Fill and the Patch Tool are also better than in CS5.

Also, as you state, "...to have the latest version of software rather than older versions (e.g. compatibility with future operating systems, computers, etc.) is another good reason to upgrade.

I am staying with CS6 until something equal to, or better than PS comes along.

--P
    Same here. I really like content-aware tools for clean-up of a negative.
    There are not a lot of the tools I use in PS but these definitely.

Cheers,

Luc
    Field # ShenHao XPO45 - Monorail # Sinar P, F2
    [CENTER]6x6 # Minolta 1965 Autocord, 6x9 # Kodak 1946 Medalist II

How do I upgrade from CS5 to CS6? I went to adobe website, but could only find Creative Cloud version.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Preston Birdwell

Jon,

Use Adobe's 'chat' feature and tell them what you want to do. That's what I did, including having them ship a boxed disc, rather than a download.

You might also check a third party vendor such Amazon, Staples, etc..

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Thanks, upgrade now only available through Adobe, not amazon, staples, b&h etc. All agents are busy, oh well.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shiu View Post
    All agents are busy, oh well.
    That's the sound of mobs of people making their last purchase from Adobe for a verrry long time...

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
    That's the sound of mobs of people making their last purchase from Adobe for a verrry long time...
    I think you may be correct!

Thanks for all the responses. I'll take the advice and buy. When I was looking I had the same problem Jon mentions. I planned to call but maybe the chat room is a better idea.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.