Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: England trip

England trip

Hi Kirk

Trip to UK, some quick thoughts.

While Engalnds not my favorite place it is littered in photo opps.

I second the canals possibility and the other suggestion of source information.

Heaps of old wharehouses, factories, shipyards etc which offer B & W opps.

Gardens of every shape and size not to mention parks with an abundace of trees and sometimes bits of Roman walls and buildings (St Albans – you could probably spend a week just walking around trying to decide on what to shoot ! try down by the river and around the Abbey).

Can be cold so take an extra jumper.

Skies have a bad habit of being GRAY even in summer – May can be a very good month for sun shine.

One of problems with the UK is a lot of people in a smallish place so there is a lot of dull stuff but in pockets in between - there is photographers gold.

Can I suggest that when you find something/place of interest that you look over your shoulder (litteraly turn round ) as 5 times out of 10 there is another view equally good or better behind you or to one side.

I am guessing here but it sounds like you don’t “know” the UK so I think I would suggest that you consider this a research trip and plan for the “MAIN” trip later – things like the best routes to take between places of interest so you avoid the worst traffic and vist the maximum number of intertesting villages, small towns (market days or not market days). You could of course spend several months in London – ( if you have any interest in painting then you would surely enjoy the Tate and Nationally Galleries the Tate has the Turner collections and I think both are free entery).

If you are renting a car the rental folks there can be VERY picky about damage to the car when you return it so, on pickup, inspect it VERY carefully ( include the wheel rims, hub caps and head cloth{roof lining} and have the agent note even small damage.

If you are going to back for second trip renting a barge and travelling that way for a week or fortnight is well worth looking into, on a barge - it’s a completely different view of a country – to the one you see from a car or a coach ( not to mention the little country pubs beside or near to the canals) .

The more I write this the more I realise it is almost impossible to make quick valid suggestions as there is so much to see let alone shoot.

Glasgow OK here are couple of suggestions :-

M1 to Leeds “do” Kirkstall Abbey

Harrowgate (don’t stop) thro to Knaresborough take a walk round, pretty place,go down by the river too.

Deversion to Ripon (market town) and Cathedral is worthy of a vist.
    And or you could take in York – the Shambles and the Minster – bit iffy with holidays.

Then either up the A1 to Scotch Corner then A62 to Penrith and M6 north and Glasgow

Or back back to Harrowgate and over the Pennines (A65 via Skipton,Kirkby Longsdale) and on to the M62 - well you could go into Kendal and Windermere but this would slow at best and if it’s holiday time – DON’T, then on north to Glasgow.

But if time is an issue save this for the Main trip and haul up the M6 (Leicester – Burton on Trent – Stoke on Trent M6) to Carlisle and on to Glasgow.

Whatever you decide on - have a mighty trip.

Rob

England trip

Thanks for all the input. Your comments and suggestions will help me plan a much more successful trip!
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

England trip

BTW, for film, larger branches of the Jessops high street chain of photo stores usually have some 4x5 Ilford B&W film in stock; otherwise you may need to find a pro shop or use mail order. Probably best to bring enough to tide you over for a few days at least, just in case.

Cheers,

England trip

A quote from Paul Caponigro (I think); "What you are looking for in England, you will find in Ireland." I've never been to Ireland but loved photographing in England, and would love to go back.

Re: England trip

I am finally making this trip. the first real live vacation, longer than three or four days, that I have taken since 1978. I have been accused by current and previous wives of being a workaholic. So be it, my life is photography and this trip will be no different. Thanks for the recomendations, they have been of use.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

Same location as original post?

Pretty much, though this will hopefully be the first of a series of trips. My wife has spent much time in London over the years. We both want to get out to the countryside. Crowds make me a little crazy. We are unfortubately on a tight 8 day schedule (8 days in country) that starts in London and loops north to Leicester to meet up with my wifes uncles and then I think we will head north to the North York Moors (Rievaulx and Fountains abbeys) then over to Kenwick (Casterigg stone circle) and back to Leicester again, and back to London to fly home. That seems like a doable--not too insane trip that will afford some shooting opportunities. Any suggestions along the way?
    Last edited by Kirk Gittings; 3-Jun-2006 at 20:11.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

For starters take a look at any of Fay Godwins books - especally the ones with plenty of Yorkshire stuff in them - Elmet, and also Land. Read some of Ted Hughes' poetry.

You could spend the whole trip just in N Yorkshire (where I spent much of my childhood) and on the trip across the Pennines.
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

For training, I think I'd lock myself in a small room with only a television, vcr, and a collection of all the episopes of "Two Fat Ladies" on vhs about a week before leaving for Britain. Beautiful cinemaphotography by Spike Something or other.

One thing that really impressed me last time I was in Great Britain---and this might sound wierd---were all the little---really little--- gardens I saw from the "tube" in London. I mean when the train would emerge onto the surface for brief moments, these delightful little gardens on the right of way would flash by amid all the railroad clutter. Tiny gardens not more than a few feet square with carefully tended geraniums, vegetables, small flowers etc... Who planted them? Who took care of them (without getting run down by a train?) In the grey weather, hard against soot and grime coated brick and stone walls for background, these were like little jewels and I doubt if they could have been appreciated by anyone unless they were passengers(who were for the most part either buried in "The Times" or pan handling.)

I have no idea how to photograph these places---they'd appear in a flash and they were gone---but I've always thought they would be an interesting subject.

Sounds like a fun trip!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Tim, By chance I happen to own those books, though honestly I probably hadn't looked at them in 20 years. i did not realize they were from that area.

John, By chance my wife is a professional chef and we are very fond of the Two Fat Ladies.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73: