Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: View or Field Camera? On which type did you start?

View or Field Camera? On which type did you start?

Before buying a camera may I suggest some of the articles in the free section of our web site

www.viewcamera.com

also one or more of these books

User's Guide to theView Camera by Jim Stone

Large Format Nature Photography by Jack Dykinga

Using the View Camera that I wrote for Amphoto

When people give you advice they really should tell you two things

1. what range of lenses they use 2. what subjects they photograph

as these will make a difference in what they use and what you will want to use

feel free to ask me any uestions

steve immons publisher view camera magazine

Wisner 8x10 Expedition field camera was my first and still is my only camera. Briefly had a Master Technica 2000 but gave it up as it was gathering dust. Francesco (www.cicoli.com)

I've only owned field cameras, first an Ebony 45SW and now an Ebony 45SU. Each type (monorail and field) have their own set of advantages/disadvantages. Good luck with LF!

not an junior member Janko Belaj's Avatar

I have started with view camera 2 years ago... I wanted to buy wooden field camera, but suddenly there were one new but with fine discount Sinar f1, so, after examination of its possibilities with this one, I choose a new Sinar. And didn't regret it. But, after few months photographing mostly architecture for my 1st large exhibition, I placed that Sinar in Lowepro backpack... ouuuch!
    Few days ago I bought new Tachihara (http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ic/498771.html)) but, as it is brand new and I took only one shot with it so far, I can't answer on 3th part of your question. Anyway, I do believe that I will use Sinar for job assignments (let say 3 or 4 months in year producing about 60-80 final shots) and the rest of time I hope to use Tachihara producing... well, we will se what will came in front of my eyes or what good will my eyes found....

Welcome to the world of large format, Sharon!

I started off with a Graflex Speed Graphic, but soon got a Calumet woodfield 4x5 because of the limitations of movements (and weight) of the speed graphic. Then a Graflex Graphic View (monorail) came across my path. I didn't keep that long because of the sheer bulkiness of it. It would have worked fine (for me) in a studio, but not out trecking in the field. A Deardorff V8 was next for me, so currently I own a speed graphic, which never gets used, and the 4x5 Calumet woodfield and Deardorff V8 (8x10) which sadly, don't get used enough.

If I were going to be doing a lot of studio work, I'd have a monorail, offering almost limitless movements, and because weight and bulk wouldn't be an issue. 99% of my shooting is outdoors so I prefer the small "package" that a modern woodfield folds up into, strictly for convenience sake.

Maybe what you're shooting won't require you to buy two cameras. Then you can use the money that you saved to buy another lens or extra film holders.

Good luck, and again, welcome!

DG

Let me echo the welcome to the wonderful world of large format, Sharon.

I started on what might be called a camera memoranda view. We would view the animals in the field, and then go into our caves in the south of France, and paint them on the walls. ;-)

Seriously, I, too, started with an old monorail 4x5, graduated to a more modern and stable 4x5 monorail (Toyo), and added a Toyo 45AX field camera later (after I became completely convinced that taking a monorail into the field was a real pain). I've since added a Tachihara 8x10 field (double extension to conserve weight) and a Toyo 810G monorail for studio use. I made a 4x5 reducing back for the Tachihara, and a lens board adapter for it, too. So now, virtually all lenses are on 110mm Toyo boards that work on everything.

Out of the whole batch, I use the two field cameras more than either of the monorails - simply due to convenience and lesser weight. The monorails come into play only when extreme movements or extra long bellows extension are needed.

I echo what Hogarth has said. My only 4 x 5 camera is a Toho FC-45X. It is extremely light, comes apart easily for transport, and has a fairly full range of front and rear movements. Badger Graphics is now selling a Chinese clone of the Toho for about 3/4 the price. It is certainly worth considering. You can find a detailed review of the camera at www.thalmann.com/largeformat/toho.htm

Ralph, I've seen those cave paintings, and must say: You're no Picasso!
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

That's OK, Bill. Gnawing on the end of a stick to make a brush has its limitations. (I was way too chicken to pluck hairs from a mammoth to make a real brush.) ;-)

My first large format camera was a Pacemaker Crown Graphic back in 1975. In the mid-80's came an 8X10 Deardorf and a 5X7 B&J flatbed, followed by some Graflex Graphic View II's which I used for many, many years. The 'dorff was stolen from my truck back in 1988, along with 3 lenses, my Pentax spotmeter, and a dozen holders.

About 14 or 15 years ago, I bought a 5X7 Eastman #2 which is now my primary camera for portraiture. Last year, I bought a Toyo D45A, a D45E, and a few months back, a D45M - all of which replaced my Graphic View II's. There have been a few others along the way, but nothing that I really liked - i.e. some old Calumet monorails.

I've become a huge fan of Toyo monorails in the last year. Yes, they're heavy to carry in the field (I did that today, and I'm beat!), but they've become like old friends...