Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: View or Field Camera? On which type did you start?

View or Field Camera? On which type did you start?

I started using a Toyo monorail at art school, the college lent them out, and I had one nearly every weekend. It was the camera that I cut my large format teeth on (so as to speak). Dad gave me a Crown Graphic which I started to use backpacking. I borrowed a Linhof Technica 5 for a day and fell in love with it. My first purchase was a Linhof Technikardan TK45. I loved the movements & bellows draw, and the destinctive Linhof feel. I also bought a Linhof Technica III (1953?) which was just beautiful to use, though had different lens boards to my latter model linhof. When I sold it I bought a Toyo 45CF. A camera I never used, but didn't think it was as nice as other cameras I had used. When the linhof & toyo was stolen I replaced it with an Ebony 45SU - which is by far the nicest large format camera that I have ever used. Though it is very heavy (and on my wish list is one of Badgers light weight monorails (Toho copy?).

I didn't understand lenes very much when I started, image circles, flange focal distances, and that there is a huge variety in many different weights. With my last camera I was able to choose a body that matched the lenes I wanted to use, and make the usual compromises that one makes with a particular large format camera. Working out which lenes I prefer has taken some time. And is perhaps just as important question as is the type of photography you are going to use it for. ie carring it around all day in a pack, or draging it to shoots from the car, or leaving it in a studio. Me I like a full featured camera as my first choice as I particularly love the movements of large format cameras. Some of my friends hardly use any movements at all, as they love the image size and viewing on a ground glass... Experiement if you can... buy something that you can sell (that holds its value) so you can upgrade or change to suit the style of photography that you develop. Monorails do have a reputation for being easy to use, though I don't tend to agree.

Len Metcalf

Leonard Murray Metcalf BA Dip Ed MEd

Len's gallery lenmetcalf.com

Lens School

Lens Journal

All - wonderful insight and good questions. It just seemed that most people had field cameras so I was wondering if they learned on field or monorail cameras. I love monorail right now, but the weight is a concern. For most part, it's a wonderful tool if you don't venture "far afield". It would be nice to have the flexibility of having both...just as soon as I win the lottery!

Thanks all!

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

I started out with - neither. I started with a 5x7" Technika III, a technical camera... The first one had a 4x5" reducing back, a 210mm Xenar, and good bellows. A little later I bought a second one - same type, but with 5x7" back, a Xenar 300mm/f:4.5, and rotten bellows.

Later on I sold the poorest combination (reducing back, 210 Xenar, and rotten bellows) in part exchange for a Linhof Color (monorail!) with a 135mm/3.5 Planar, 150mm/5.6 Symmar, 210mm/4.5 APO-Lanthar, and 360mm/5.5 Tele-Xenar.

From there on I've moved on to older cameras: A 1934 Voigtländer Bergheil 9x12cm plate camera (with 150/4.5 Heliar), and now last a German 18x24cm folding "Travel-Camera" of unknown age and origin.

I may eventually buy a field camera. But it seems to be moving ever further back on my list of priorities...

Started with a 4x5 Graphic View, which is a monorail. After less than a year, I got an 8x10 Deardorff which is a field camera design.

Bulk and configuration is not an issue with me. I don't backpack. I strive to take all my shots within 20 feet of the truck, sometimes standing in the truck bed to get a higher angle of view. Despite my statement about bulk, I think an 8x10 monorail would be too unwieldy out in the field.

Although I try to use the 8x10 most of the time, I've hung on to the little (????) 4x5 monorail because it is a bit handier inside the house. The slight difference in movements between the two hasn't been an issue.

Started on a crown graphic (field), sold it off to fund a bender (monorail).

and when that got stolen, bought a used Arca Swiss F-Classic

and when the A/S got too bulky for backpacking, bought another Crown Graphic...

so you see, I've gone full circle

I am a newcomer. I don't think I have made it to 100 sheets exposed yet. I have a CC400 that I bought for ~$100 and a couple of lenses that were under that. I still haven't found a good way to haul it reasonable distances so I have been eyeing a Crown Graphic. The CC400 has been good for learning how to use basic movements. If I ever set up a studio I think it would be a perfectly suitable camera.

I am also a relative newcomer to LF, in that I haven't made it to 100 sheets exposed yet either. My first LF camera was a Toyo 45 AII (field camera), with 90, 150, and 210 mm lenses. I bought an 8x10 Agfa/Ansco (field camera) last year and a 300 mm lens. I have since bought a 159 mm on ebay and am going to stick with these two lenses for 8x10 for a while.

So, the answer to your questions are: (1) I learned on the Toyo; (2) Never wanted to get the other type. (3) I find myself using the 8x10 more and more, especially as I'm going to start doing some alt-process printing..

Whal, I'm so new to LF that my opinion don't count fer squat! Since that's what yer payin fer opinions, you'll get yer money's worth ;-)

My first LF is a home-made 4x5 monorail http://www.geocities.com/diannebest/camera/camera1.html

Not overly happy with the Cherry wood so I just might build another one from Maple. If I build a second one, it just might be a field camera. Why? I donno, 'cept I've already got a monorail! I got no intention of going far enough afoot fer weight to be an issue. I have got right down in the grass with the monorail 'n' got some really great transparencies of the Dandilions from a bug's eye view - WOW!

Don't know nuff 'bout what I'm doing to know if I'm missing anything :-)>

I started off with a Cambo SCX monorail because I was doing products. Went into a field, Linhof Tec III to go out and have fun. Jane, look at some of the Tec III's and IV on the auction sites. They are metal and very rugged and very useable. Macro is great and the backs extend further out as well as the front being able to shoot with a 400mm (I have a 360mm I love!). My most recent lens is a 65mm and I was told that a III couldn't do it. I got a machine shop to make me a recessed lens board for it and it works great... I have to drop the bed but I don't care, it works great! The nice part of the III vs the IV is that the III's lensboards are VERY simple to have made... unless you need the Linhof insignia on them.

I'm still using the basic Calumet student model monotrail (CC400?)I bought new in the 70's. Its very rugged and in perfect shape still. Carrying the camera case around in the field is difficult. I recently got an Eddie Bauer duffel bag for all the gear so I can carry the camera on the tripod (Gitzo Studex same vintage) over my shoulder and duffel hangs on the other side. I'm still fit enough to hike around this way. The old Calumet is inexpensive but very serviceable camera. I did some commercial work in the 80's with it so I am still used to having the monorail capabilities.