Page 10 of 34 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Adobe is going to only sell subscription based Photoshop

Re: Adobe is going to only sell subscription based Photoshop

How does Lightroom fit into all of this, I use it daily along side PS.

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    How does Lightroom fit into all of this, I use it daily along side PS.
    Q. How much will Lightroom 5 cost?

A. We do not have pricing information to share at this time.

Q. Will Lightroom 5 be included as part of Adobe Creative Cloud?

A. Yes. Lightroom 5 will be delivered to Creative Cloud members at no extra charge when it’s available.

Q. Will I still be able to purchase Lightroom 5 outside of the Creative Cloud

A. Yes. Lightroom 5 will continue to be available as a standalone product, available for purchase as an Electronic Software Download(ESD) or as a boxed product with a traditional perpetual license.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Syverson View Post
    ...edtd... Everyone else will either find an alternative or become a customer. Sadly for us on this forum, there are no alternatives that can handle giant files, and it's not likely that there ever will be. It's a very small niche.

see phase one:
    http://www.digitaltransitions.com/bl...hases-upgrades

P1 handles Phase 180/280 files with ease.

(i know the coupon is dead. knife fork spoon.)

In a corporate environment, is software a capital expense?
    Will subscription based software become an operating expense?
    What are the accounting and tax ramifications?

There must be someone here who has an accounting background and can answer questions like this.
    Never is always wrong; always is never right.

www.LostManPhoto.com
    www.MarkStahlkePhotography.com

I am just a photographer. I work in a graphic arts dept but for my personal work I just use Photoshop and Lightroom. I have no need for the cloud, I have no need for most of the other software Adobe supplies. I can use them at work but at home it's Lightroom and Photoshop. By doing what I want, Adobe wants me gone. They are forcing me into what they want. Not giving me any choice. Pay or play?
    What I see is Adobe using two market strategies. Both I find loathsome.

First is the automotive industry's Leasing programs that is geared for those who have to have the newest car. So, you pluck down your downpayment and make your monthly payment for 3 years and at the end, You have to return the car. It's not yours. Then the dealers will sell that car. Adobe can't do that.
    Second marketing strategy is the Time share. My in-laws bought into this some years back. They pay their monthly payments and use it. That is all good and fine but you are limited. Your money is locked in to one or a few at best locations. You don't have choices.

To the gentlemen who say I'm not an Adobe customer. I am an Adobe customer. I may not wish to upgrade or subscribe but that does not mean I'm not a customer. What happen to the phrase, "Once a customer, always a customer"? Adobe figures that they have us over a borrow. They figure that between camera upgrades, software and hardware upgrades eventually, I and those like me will have to get the newest version of Photoshop. And that is this how monopolies act! This is why the consumer always feels cheated.

To the gentleman who says my version of Photoshop still is licensed to Adobe. That maybe so. But, I'm pretty sure that when I bought it. I registered it as mine with Adobe. It belongs to me. I'm not to share it! But I can sell it. I also know that if I were to sell the software, I and the buyer would have to do a transfer of ownership before Adobe. I know this because I had done it.

The thing that is bothersome to me is that Adobe wants to be attached to my credit card. That is dangerous! If you always want to have a constant drain on your credit. Go for it! I don't want that. It's not a good thing. Another thing, to the gentleman who say use the cloud off and on. What if you forgot to turn it off and say something happen to you. What if got laid up and are not around for 6 months. At $50 a month. That is $300 gone! You may call up Adobe or another subscription service and explain and they'll probably say we don't care, go Talk to your Credit card service. Ever done that?! It's not good.

So I can use my CS6 version until hardware and OS updates render it incompatible, probably two to six years down the line depending on my speed of upgrading?

And by 2015 either there will be a credible competitor to Photoshop - perhaps Google's Nik acquisition is their preliminary step in that direction? - OR I simply buck up and pay $30 for the month(s) that I want to use Photoshop.

Perhaps I will get by using Lightroom and scanning apps and only rent Photoshop when I know that I will need to do pixel editing, perhaps only during the darkest nights of Winter?

So possibly I could actually save money with this. And if I am pressured to be using the latest version of Photoshop from the Creative Cloud, then business is good enough that the price doesn't matter?

Bottom line is that I will opt for the least expensive option and have lost all loyalty to Adobe (not that it wasn't already waning). A good competitor could sell a lot of $350 software boxes if they had a decent alternative.

I registered it as mine with Adobe. It belongs to me. I'm not to share it! But I can sell it
    I am sure you are honest. However, technically Adobe owns it, and you license it.

Just a word from the last version of Photoshop I bought - the student version. It is a full CS5 (12.1 x64) version, with the only difference a statement in the ULA that transfer of the product is prohibited.

I appreciate your information regarding the credit card charge. Scarey!

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    However, technically Adobe owns it, and you license it.
    I don't think that is correct. When you purchase the software, you own the license.

Snippets form Adobes site (emphasis mine):

If you sell or give your Adobe software to an individual or business, you can transfer the license accordingly. Transferring the license allows the new owner to register the software in their name.

Requirements to transfer a license:

You must initiate the product transfer as the current owner of the product license. The receiver of the license (transferee) cannot initiate this process.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
    I don't think that is correct. When you purchase the software, you own the license. [...]
    Thank you for the correction, Greg. The wording is important.

If you're not dealing with large scans, Lightroom is all you need. The local adjustments have improved dramatically, and you can now do virtually any kind of photo cleanup or prep within the app. It's fantastic.

I personally wouldn't want to open 8x10 scans in Capture One, but it's worth a try. Those scans are still over 4X larger than the biggest files from a medium format digital back, and my guess is that Capture One wants to load the entire image into RAM. Well, if you've got a $40,000 back, odds are you can afford 32 gigs of RAM anyway.

People will definitely seek out alternatives, which is a good thing. Competition benefits everyone in the equation, including Adobe. That said, I don't envy anyone setting out to make a Photoshop killer. What's more likely is that developers will make specialized apps to compete with particular use-cases for Photoshop. But odds are they will run on your tablet or iPhone, since that's where the money is these days.