Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Adobe is going to only sell subscription based Photoshop

Re: Adobe is going to only sell subscription based Photoshop

Well with dial up that makes it very hard to use their products. Down load would take hours maybe days .
    At $50 per month that ends up being allot of film that will out last a digital file.
    Richard T Ritter
    www.lg4mat.net

Quote Originally Posted by Otto Seaman View Post
    [...]Why hasn't this happened yet? Did Adobe lock up the technology that well? Isn't that a monopoly, shouldn't there be an anti-trust case brought up?
    It will be interesting to see how the Euro-economy deals with this, given how sensitive some countries are about locked-in enterprises.

Quote Originally Posted by perfectedmaya View Post
    hi

yes, the beta version support 16bit 32 bit

color management is supported, but i heard it is abit slow when turned on..

we must put our support for gimp.. they are going to implement layer adjustment etc.. they lack funds.. so given enough funds they can move fast and releasse all the features that are needed to level with PS..
    Where is the download for the beta version ?

I'm trying the current version. It does keep improving - that's great.

For B&W we don't need a lot of bells and whistles, but 16 bit, layers, and decent sharpening is the key. Even ICC profiles is less important if we want to print with Quadtone RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    No Tilley hats are the big giveaway
    Bob,

Can they get those South of the border?

I will have to find out how your workshops went after I get back,

Len

If one is doing film separations for alt processes photoshop is critical.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post

I'm trying the current version. It does keep improving - that's great.

For B&W we don't need a lot of bells and whistles, but 16 bit, layers, and decent sharpening is the key. Even ICC profiles is less important if we want to print with Quadtone RIP.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Like what a decade late to the party?
    "Free software" usually means that the developers aren't paid anything to develop it. Volunteer effort means exactly that: volunteer. For a while, GIMP wasn't being developed at all. And it's a real PITA to get the development environment up and running for GIMP. Not fun at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    Snapshot the source with a git sync, and then compile it. Oh, and you'll need to set up first for the prerequisites, and mind the various versions. You know the drill, right?

... Right??
    (And you are running Linux, right?)
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

From Adobe 5 minutes ago,

The education deal is back: Students and teachers receive a discount of 60%-70% off the regular price worldwide, and pay US$19.99/month for the complete Cloud.
    Tin Can

No way in hell I'm going to pay $50 or so dollars a month for a piece of software I use 3 times a month (if that). I'm not a professional, photography is a hobby for me and I can't justify paying that much. And sorry to say this, but a cracked and pirated version of the next PS is looking better and better if they continue this BS.

Isn't Adobe owned by a guy from India? This should explain a lot.

Well, I'll throw my hat into this debate as well.
    I don't care what Adobe has chose to do. I openly oppose and never agree to any company that wants to attach my credit card account. It's just dangerous in my thinking. I get asked all the time to subscribe for this and that. I decline always. It's how you control your money. I don't even subscribe to any photography magazines! I rather go to my local bookstore and look at the issue and decide to purchase or not. Becasue I learned that not every issue contains material that I find interesting.

I don't care to rent software either. I like ownership. I like to say, "I worked for it and bought it...This is mine." I don't operate on the newest version of Photoshop. I still use PS CS3. It gives me what I want and I'm happy with it. I don't need 64 bit, I don't use much HDR and I don't care for 3D. These were all the improvements of later version of Photoshop from my CS3.

I understand that for the more professional photographer having the latest is best. You have to compete to make a living and renting software may make sense. I have seen many individuals and companies go under because investment of software and hardware. Those investments then are up for sale when times get tough. But, I'm not in that boat and I think Adobe should think of those like myself.
    I don't like the hard sales. I don't like hard sales tactics. It makes me think "Why?". Adobe is trying too hard to sell me to use their Cloud and now they are forcing it on all of us. Why? I like having options! I like have choice! It's what truly drives the economy. Adobe is taking those choices away from us. "It's my ball and you'll play what I want to play". With Adobe, "It's our software and you'll pay as you go and that's that!"
    Sorry no.

Say you're using CS3. CS3 was announced in 2007. It's now a full six years later... You weren't willing to pay $600 for CS4, CS5 or CS6, and now you're not willing to pay $20 / month for CC. Nothing has changed from Adobe's perspective: they're still not getting money out of you. Nothing has changed from your perspective: you're going to use CS3 regardless. So in the end nothing has changed.

Keep in mind that the target market for Photoshop is professional graphic designers, not photographers. Photoshop is a crucial tool for designers in all media, including print, web, video, interactive, etc. They are who buys the software. It's often necessary for them to have the latest version, because they're getting newer files from clients and colleagues. A subscription service is ideal for this group. If you get an InDesign file unexpectedly, you can just download InDesign and fire it up.

This is a good move for Adobe's actual customers. Everyone else will either find an alternative or become a customer. Sadly for us on this forum, there are no alternatives that can handle giant files, and it's not likely that there ever will be. It's a very small niche.