Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Website Feedback

Website Feedback

Good evening,

I have been a member of LF for a while, but have remained mostly a spectator. So in an effort to get into the game, I am taking this opportunity to announce a website that I just finished. Please take a look, and I am open to opinions, critiques, whatever.

www.danieljonesphotographs.com

Thanks,
    Daniel Jones

Re: Website Feedback

I really like your images. I like your website also...very simple and uncluttered. Looking forward to seeing more.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

I enjoyed your photographs very much - they must be inspired by S. Mann's work? Well done I think.
    Regards
    Erik

Butiful photographs, a good series.
    Your site is simple and beautiful and it worked fine.

When I come back to your pictures after reading your statement, I have to start from the beginning. I miss an opportunity to se thumb nails an go to the pictures I haven't seen before (sorry for my English)

PS witch film are you using?

Excellent work especially with 8x10. Superior to many established photographers twice your age. You definitely see the Gowin influence but you still have your own voice or look, so it will be interesting to follow up and see where you take this.

Artist statement is good as those things go.

It would be nice to subtlety let us know these are 8x10 early on, perhaps a self portrait or behind the scenes shot on the about page?

Your website probably could have been done with Tumblr template and been easier to load and navigate. Not being able to get to the menu without scrolling back up isn't good. Maybe put some top-of-page anchors in. At least throw some links at the bottom for the scrollers. Loading all those images at once assumes a good connection and hosting, or a lot of patience, I wouldn't do so many myself.

On the fifth photo down of the little girl, the dodging is noticeable.

Looks nice on a Retina iPad.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Randy,
    Thanks for your interest. I felt like a simple approach to the website would make the work stand out more.

Erik,
    I'm glad you enjoyed the work. And yes, one of my greatest influences is Sally Mann, but also the photographer Emmet Gowin and others.

OMU,
    Thanks for your feedback, and glad you liked the work. I thought about using thumbnails, but decided against it. One reason is my limited website design skills, and two because I wanted the work to be seen as a whole, that they are better seen and appreciated by seeing the whole series, not just one image to click on. I use Ilford HP5 film developed with Kodak HC-110, and printed on Ilford FB Warmtone paper.

Otto,
    Thanks for your encouragement and interest. I designed the website through Squarespace.com and intended it to be viewed on a computer screen. But the way Squarespace works is they have different formats for viewing on iphones and other such smaller devices. I think that is when you have to scroll to the top to get to the menu. Not sure if there is a way to add top-of-the-page anchors, but I will look into it. And I like the idea about the behind the scenes shot. I will try to figure something out for that.

Thanks again and cheers.
    Daniel Jones

Daniel, I also really enjoyed your new site. I looked at the photographs before reading the artist's statement, and (perhaps unsurprisingly) the two photographers who came instantly to mind were Sally Mann and Emmet Gowin, so clearly your admiration for their work shows through, but modified to become your own vision.

The only technical comment I can make again has to do with site navigation. Whenever I see a site and don't notice the navigation instructions (the small print "previous/next" in the lower left) I just try clicking on the image, and, lo and behold, that advanced me through your portfolio. I think a larger right and left arrow next to the image might simply be more obvious, for those like me who gravitate straight to the images without examining the rest of the screen.

runs a monkey grinder Steve M Hostetter's Avatar

I like your work Daniel

I don't really see a problem with anything on the website. I think it works fine. Thumbnails would be nice though. I was surprised that you are so young. I will be curious where you will be in another ten years.

I did notice that you seem to either underexpose your negs or print them kind of heavy and a little contrasty. It is difficult to tell on the internet without seeing the prints. That of course is just my opinion. It might be something for you to look into though.

Spectacular work. I am tong-tied. Didn't much notice the website so I guess it did its job by making the images easily accessible but didn't get in their way.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"