Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another 'digital vs. film' thought

Another 'digital vs. film' thought

Why is everyone so bothered by what "other" people are doing? Don't get me wrong, I wholeheartedly believe one should educate themselves on the options and possibilities out there (as in - teach yourself some Photoshop skills, go rent a top of the line digital and see what it can do for you), but at the end of the day - they're all just tools. Use what works best for you and be happy. Live and let live.

Guy
    Scenic Wild Photography

Understanding digital will make you a better analog photographer and vice-versa. Use both systems with care and aim for the best results in both mediums.

If all you make are 4x6 snapshots, then using a medium or large format camera is overkill. Use the medium to its best advantage - go large, study detail, use movements, make the control and pace of large format your advantage.

Allow me to quote from my own web page. My original discussion was digital v 35mm film cameras, but the concept is still valid regarding large format.

"Don't confuse a DSLR with a 35mm film camera. Even though they may have a physical resemblance, they are different animals and each serves a different purpose. Neither is "better," they are just tools in the box. You don't hear auto mechanics arguing that a socket is "better" than a combination wrench, that would be silly. They are both tools and both can live peacefully beside each other in the box. They each have strong and weak points. A pro knows which tool is the correct one for the job. That's the reason we have so much stuff, NOT because we collect toys. If a tool doesn't make us money, it's just taking up space in the tool box (and adding weight)."

When students pose this question to me, my response is that large format photography is a craft, embraced by folks much like fine carpenters and hot rod auto mechanics. That is, people who enjoy the hands-on process from start to finish, who enjoy getting lost in the act of photographing as a form of meditation and appreciate the finer quality reproductions that are possible from a larger piece of film.

At the same time, I wholly embrace the newer technology for its ability to overcome long-standing compromises in color, tone and sharpness. There is no doubt that the newer digital color printing technology surpasses any analog process in quality, but perhaps not as much in the "joy of creating" category, where half the fun or the craft crowd is still "getting there."

I encourage folks to familiarize themselves with this technology, and like Bob Fowler just pointed out, view the equipment as tools of liberation.

For instance, I just posted a note on a another thread stating how much fun I am having using a Digital Rebel as my light meter now after years of happily using a Sekonic L775. Having a histogram to instantly evaluate my exposure is invaluable, plus, if I were using negative film, I now have a positive reference print to attach to my negative or upload to the web without having to scan the film. In fact, if folks continue to see a need to use a handheld lightmeter and sales justify there continued manufacture, I'd like to see the suppliers incorporate the histogram technology into the readouts.

Here is an amateur's point of view.

What's wrong with being an old fogey? That's precisely why I do LF, though I prefer the term "retro-geek".

To me, computers are work, and photography is a hobby. I just bought a computer, naturally the very latest thing, and also a(nother LF) camera, which is 80 years old. It makes me feel connected to the photographers of the past, and to the history of art, it lets me be involved in a physical craft, and have all the fun of the ground glass and movements.

For my wife, the computer is a toy to play with away from work. She loves the little digicam I bought her. When we went to Burma, she took 600 digipix and I took 40 4x5's. She printed 200 4x6 images while I printed 5 11x14's and one 16x20. And we are both as happy as clams. Who says film and digital can't co-exist happily? ;-)

I agree that if your goal is art for the web or small 4x6 prints, then yes you should use digital. I work in B&W usually 8x10 and 11x14 on Fiber paper. Nothing digital produces the look and feel of a fine Fiber print. Also claims of inkjet archival qualities are not yet proven. I have fiber prints that are 60 years old and look great.

I think 35mm may becomes less common, but for those in the arts film is an important medium. For instance we may have to mail order film. No big change for most of us, I can order my film from B&H or calumet for half of what I pay at the counter.

It`s just like hot cars- no substitute for cubic inches or square inches in this case. I do like my Leicas tho, as there are pleanty of times a 4x5 would be impossible.

Keep in mind, even a minox looks good on the web.

Thanks everyone. I feel much better. Happy shooting.

I just want to add another thought, well it's actually instructions for my wife... the instructions are to pry my Linhof out of my stiff rigamortice hands and place it by the casket (not to be buried with me but given to my current 6 yr. old son) when the time comes. I suppose I'm an old fogey too but I'm in complete denial! I'm only on my 10th anniversary of my 36th birthday!!! LOL! Ben, my thoughts on people who think that digital is better... screw them! Digital has it's place and I use high end stuff for work as well as 4x5 in the studio and locations but the digital just doesn't come close with the dynamic range (detail from highlights to deep shadows) and the look just isn't pleasant to me. I prefer 4x5 B/W and color when I shoot for myself and will continue till such time when film is discontinued (I don't see this happening although when they discontinued Ektapan a tear came down my cheek...). Keep the faith and shoot what you like! The salespeople are only trying to make a buck and if they knew photography like they somewhat know the "new fad", they too would be out shooting LF! Just as a kick, ask one of the salespersons (who is old enough to shave) their "preferences"...

I shoot both LF and 35mm digital. All kinds of fun with both.

I've lugged my 35 to use as a meter, but who needs the weight? I think it's best to learn spot metering and think through the scene. I've only made several hundred 4x5 chromes, but I can already 'nail' most exposures in quality light.

A simple pentax digital spot and my brain is all I need.