Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trick Thieves in European Cities

Trick Thieves in European Cities

As the number of tourists in cities of note in Europe, so do the activities of the thousands of trick thieves increase.
    Tourists are the main target as:

- they generally have cash on them.
    - they don't know the current danger spots/scenarios.
    - they don't want to waste their precious holiday time with police reporting, which means that the same trick can be done over and over again at the same spot.
    - any photographers will have their hands full!

An example.

Someone in my family was in Barcelona last week with a friend.
    They know all about trick thieves and the reputation of Barcelona, particularly.
    And they have seen the TV documentary about Roma girls travelling into the city centre for their daily "work".
    Not only were they given a last minute warning from me - but the flat renting agency also put a warning in their last mail!

Anyway, they were taken in by one of the classic tricks.

Approached by 2 young female "students" in a central park.
    "you have some birdshit on your" - "let us help you get it off".
    Strangely these bird droppings smelt dreadful - which is quite unusual.
    And the "students" happened to have cleaning materials with them.
    They didn't realise what had happened during the cleaning process until an hour later!

The good thing is that they only go after cash.

So be very wary of any contact with people in difficulty, especialy where there is physical contact or you have to hold something in your hand (maps, for instance) or a very unusual occurance. People can be of all ages, although the park/bird shit scenario is usually done by young girls. I have heard that some travellors agree a safe word between them so that if someone gets suspicious they can alert the others.
    Perhaps our Spanish friends can give some other current scams?

Re: Trick Thieves in European Cities

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    -
    Perhaps our Spanish friends can give some other current scams?
    Because you seem to be well informed about it perhaps you could give us examples of current thieves scams in your country, in Denmark?

We have absolutely no crime in Denmark
    Hmm I think we have mainly pocket thieves here and of cource the "gamplers" you know the trick with one dice, stone or the like and three cups. They play at strøget and suddenly a guy wins big time (ofcource he is one of them) thus luring bystanders to try (they never win) while playing they have others liberating spectators from the burden of their values. Be allert when in crowded places like train and metro including the stations. Keep your values in innerpockets close to your body never in purses or bags on your sholder or bag. Move fast and with confidence like you know where you are going. Dont flash your wallet and smartphone unnecessary and not near car and bicycle lanes. smartphones have been stolen by thieves on mopeds and bicycles.
    Have a nice vacation
    Best regards
    Søren Nielsen

Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Oh and cover the machine when entering your code when paying with visa etc.
    Søren Nielsen

We have mostly a house break-in problem from motorised groups from the new countries in the EU all the year round.
    There is a lot of trick household thieving that targets "older citizens" - " I come from the council etc.". But resident Danes do this a lot too!
    But these not a problem for tourists.
    Spring used to bring organised groups from South America to Copenhagen, but I don't think this has been such a problem in the last few years.
    The groups coming from Southern Europe, tend to use Public transport, Busy Cafés, arranged 3 card tricks (associates are in the crowd) and is a mixture of bag stealing and traditional pick-pocketing. There is very little violent crime and the flagging down of cars (for non-existant tyre problems) is a very rare occurance (by comparison with other countries).

And then we have the gypsies pulling over on the motorways selling gold ( Beginning to sound like DK is a mekka for criminals )
    Best regards
    Søren Nielsen

I'm glad I'm going to Barcelona in about 2 weeks and won't be anywhere near Denmark.....

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

A big part of avoiding this is to do a little research and learn to act and more importantly dress like the people who live there do. Do away with the shorts and sport team T-shirts and try to blend in. I did this once in Paris and I was invisible. I learned the hard way in Germany when I was almost pick pocketed out of my cash and passport, luckily I felt the guy reach for my wallet and turned around and whacked him in the face 8 or 9 times with my F4s. My viewfinder still has a dent from his face LOL. Oh, and learn some slang such as "F- off" or "go away" etc.. and the hand gestures to go with it.

Attach a braided and flexible wire like picture hanging wire to your valuables and clothing (around your belt is good) so that thieves get you along with the valuables. Inconvenient but effective. They will flee without the goods.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Do away with the shorts and sport team T-shirts and try to blend in.
    This is wishful thinking!
    The places you visit, the paths you walk and the language you speak to each other gives you away - even to the novice pick-pocket.