Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BLM Poster from Canyon of the Ancients

Drew Wiley

Re: BLM Poster from Canyon of the Ancients

Well a hack would have reached for a red filter and spoiled all that buoyant luminosity which makes this thing work so well. But I too truly enjoy the angle of view.... that twisted turret effect that sets everything slightly askew, with the dynamic motion transferred right into the clouds. It ain't all luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Well a hack would have reached for a red filter and spoiled all that buoyant luminosity which makes this thing work so well. But I too truly enjoy the angle of view.... that twisted turret effect that sets everything slightly askew, with the dynamic motion transferred right into the clouds. It ain't all luck.
    Very true, "it ain't all luck". Perhaps sometimes a little luck, but most often, really fine large format photography employs an understanding of materials, technique, sometimes scouting, and an eye for composition. They all came together here.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Great image Kirk. It wouldn't have worked as well with a cobalt blue sky unless, maybe, you shot it in IR(?) You know it looks very similar to a structure that I saw at Hovenweep.

Thomas

Thanks Thomas. Canyon of the Ancients National Monument (BLM) surrounds Hovenweep National Monument (National Parks Service) and actually includes some ruins that are part of the exact same culture as is in Hovenweep. AAMOF the northern most dirt road to the "Cutthroat Castle" Hovenweep ruins runs right through the BLM monument lands. At one point you go straight to the Cutthroat Castle Hovenweep ruin site or turn left and go to the BLM "Painted Hand Pueblo" ruin site (the one in my photograph). HNM is much older than COANM but COANM is much much larger (256 sq. miles!!). Seems like a waste of resources to have these on top of each other with all the duplicate management etc. but there it is-competing federal agencies.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Well a hack would have reached for a red filter and spoiled all that buoyant luminosity which makes this thing work so well. But I too truly enjoy the angle of view.... that twisted turret effect that sets everything slightly askew, with the dynamic motion transferred right into the clouds. It ain't all luck. Drew
    Very true, "it ain't all luck". Perhaps sometimes a little luck, but most often, really fine large format photography employs an understanding of materials, technique, sometimes scouting, and an eye for composition. They all came together here. Merg
    Awh shucks guys you are gonna make me blush!
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

Well done Kirk! Looks great. I hope you were happy with the repro although it seems pretty good to me.

Lets say that they did a much better job than I feared they might. I've had some horrid experiences over the years with reproductions and though I haven't physically seen the poster yet, I think I'm going to be pleasantly surprised.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

Excellent, Kirk
    As always!
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

Wonderful shot, Kirk. I agree with Heroique about the composition. I never would have thought to use a green filter. I really like the results though.

With the exception of last year, I have been there nearly every year for the past eight, usually camping there for a couple of nights. These ancient subjects are perfect for monochrome. My preference has been infrared with IR filter, either Ilford SFX for MF or MACO and now Rollei for sheets.

I don't feel that the Square Tower Visitor site is as photogenic as several of the smaller off sites. In my opinion the off sites (sh-h-h-h) have more to offer and they are usually void of tourists. And it is shameful what they have done to the Lowry site.

I want to look into the AiR program for next year. Did you get a chance to meet the other artists? It looks like you were the only photographer.

In a couple of weeks the no-see-em season will be here and they are relentless. Not a good time to be camping.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    Green has been my most used b/w filter in high desert country.

I like it for skies, colored sandstones, green junipers...

What I like about this shot are the twin forces of the ledge – thrusting-out of the earth + pushing-up to support the dwelling. Lots of energy!
    al

I've been to Hovenweep several times and drove right by Canyon of the Ancients without realizing it, though most of the time it was before it got the designation. Nice to have another place to explore. And I'm also interested in the poster. Nice shot Kirk.