Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4x5 Field camera recommendation

4x5 Field camera recommendation

I have a very simple question. I had once in the past a Wista 45DX which I found an excellent camera for my needs. I sold it and I regret that till today, as I could not find another one for a reasonable price yet.
    What other brands would be comparable? What I need is 4x5 folding field camera with similar movements as the Wista 45DX, any recommendations? I would use it with 90 to 150mm focal length.

Re: 4x5 Field camera recommendation

Chamonix
    Toyo
    Shen hao
    Ebony
    Tachihara
    Canham
    Linhof

Lowest likely price on that list and in good condition... The Tachihara and probably most like the Wista 45DX. A good example today... $400 to $500. I just sold an excellent plus example... no lens on eBay $500.

In fact one is a copy of the other. Other identically built wood field camera are the Woodfield, and the Osaka. Not sure which came first, but if you put the 4 side by side, with out a badge on the front, you may not be able to tell them apart. I've had 3 Tachihara's and 2 Wista 45DX..... Very good camera's. Lightest also on the list.

All the cameras mentioned above are good choices. I'd add to that the Horseman Woodman. It's basic, but very light if that is what you are looking for.

You should be aware that none of these cameras folds and functions exactly like a Wista DX (which can fold up with a lens mounted), and many of them have arrangements that are very different from each other. The Chamonix and a couple of the Shen Hao cameras, for example, have a double-extension bed and worm-gear focusing that are quite different from "classic" folding cameras.

I suggest you take a bit of time and check out the many YouTube videos on the various cameras in order to get to know them a bit. If you see a camera listed for sale that you may want, check YouTube and other web resources (reviews, manufacturer's site, fora, etc.) before blindly bidding.

Pay attention to the tradeoff between weight and bellows draw and extreme movements as well as the camera design. Doing your homework is going to be better than all the answers you get to questions like this on fora.

FWIW, I currently own and use Wista DXs, a Woodman and a last-generation Zone VI camera. The latter is rather bulky and heavy for most of my work, but indispensable when I need to use the 450mm lens. If I were looking for another wooden folder, I'd really check out the Chamonix and the Shen Hao offerings. Ebony seems just a bit overpriced for me, even though they offer features and quality that few other wooden cameras do.

Best,

Doremus

I bought a Wista 45SP and a Shen Hao HZ to see which I preferred for field use. I have a Sinar P and was a little concerned about using a wooden camera. The Wista seems to fit my working style better but the Shen Hao is just so beautiful I can't follow through and sell it. The Shen Hao actually has more movements but none other than focus are geared. I think the Shen Hao is a good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by redshift View Post
    I bought a Wista 45SP and a Shen Hao HZ to see which I preferred for field use. I have a Sinar P and was a little concerned about using a wooden camera. The Wista seems to fit my working style better but the Shen Hao is just so beautiful I can't follow through and sell it. The Shen Hao actually has more movements but none other than focus are geared. I think the Shen Hao is a good choice.
    But the SP is a metal Wista camera. Not a Rosewood, Quince wood, Cherry wood or Ebony wood like the Wista wooden models are. Right now B&H has a special on some Wista wood and metal cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by redshift View Post
    The problem with the Shen Hao is it's way too pretty to use. (It's also a bit heavy)....

I had two new Shen Hao's that I never took out.. sold them both...

Can't imagine how anybody uses their Chamonix. I get maximum use out of an old hacked up, lightened Super Graphic.

I have a 4x5 Toko (yes, Toko) available. Designed as a competition to Wista, with slightly better specs (longer bellows).
    It takes Technika-style lensboards.

Here's the original thread from which I purchased it, with photos: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...5-Field-Camera

Looking to sell it since I have five 4x5 cameras and don't need that many.

I installed an after-market GG, but not the real expensive one. It's better than the original.

I used this frequently before I got the Zone VI. Nice camera. Easy to use and sturdy.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

I'm partial to a Toyo 45AX. It's rugged, easy to use, and reasonably priced if bought used. I've settled on it after trying out many different cameras, including many more expensive ones.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I am also looking into 4x5 field cameras, moving up from MF, of which the Wista 45SP appears to offer a whole lot...but what are its limitations as compared to a monorail design?