Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: To go LF or not

To go LF or not

Hi everyone.

I am rather new to this forum and its a great source of information for someone
    who is contemplating on getting into LF and film.

I started out with film a long time ago, both 6x6 and 4x5. It was all analog and the prints were made in the gloomy red light of a darkroom.
    After looking at a large amount of LF pictures on the internet I can still not make up my mind. Are they good enough when scanned an digitalized ?
    I don't have the energy or will to once more spend my days in a dark room producing prints.
    Is there any of you gentlemen who could be kind enough and send me a scanned original from a 5x7 or larger so I can make up my mind.
    It would be very appreciated.

Thanks

Krister

Re: To go LF or not

Not enough energy to even do a little search on forum then?

Might be wrong path to dab into LF then.

Quote Originally Posted by SergeiR View Post
    Not enough energy to even do a little search on forum then?

Might be wrong path to dab into LF then.

I have read a lot on this forum. The "problem" is that you only see web pictures.
    Some of them are posted in a bigger format so you can look into more detail and then I am not so impressed.
    Sorry if I did not put the words right. English is not my native language.
    If I can find the answer by looking around I will.

Quote Originally Posted by KristerH View Post
    Hi everyone.

I am rather new to this forum and its a great source of information for someone
    who is contemplating on getting into LF and film.

I started out with film a long time ago, both 6x6 and 4x5. It was all analog and the prints were made in the gloomy red light of a darkroom.
    After looking at a large amount of LF pictures on the internet I can still not make up my mind. Are they good enough when scanned an digitalized ?
    I don't have the energy or will to once more spend my days in a dark room producing prints.
    Is there any of you gentlemen who could be kind enough and send me a scanned original from a 5x7 or larger so I can make up my mind.
    It would be very appreciated.

Thanks

Krister
    You cannot make this decision based on looking at the web (unless your intent is just to post on the web). The web is NOT where LF shines (if that is what you want to do don't bother with LF). LF shines in prints-both digital and traditional.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

And by the way, that was a very nice answer to someone who is new on this forum.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    You cannot make this decision based on looking at the web (unless your intent is just to post on the web). The web is NOT where LF shines (if that is what you want to do don't bother with LF). LF shines in prints-both digital and traditional.
    Thank you.

Thats why I am asking for a full res scanned picture so I can see for my self.

Sorry maybe I wasn't clear. You need to see an actual digital print.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Sorry maybe I wasn't clear. You need to see an actual digital print.
    Kirk.

My idea was to print the file on my ink jet printer and see for my self.

Have you made any comparisons, side by side, with scanned LF and modern digital backs ?

Yes I have. Now I only print b&w, but I know from personal experimentation that I could make prints that satisfy my standards from a P45+ back or larger. Having said that there is much about shooting film even if scanning it for digital prints that is personally very satisfying as a practice (and hugely less expensive). I also have been able to make small prints to my standards in a pinch from simple stitches from DSLR files.

Now about printing someone else's file. Have you dialed in a profile on the ideal paper for that image? Of course not. If not the print will not be as good as that intended by the original artist. Not all digital papers, inks and profiles are the same or equal in quality. Its like borrowing someone else's negative and printing it with a different light source, paper and developer etc.

You need to see the finished print by someone.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

Lachlan 717

Hi, Krister, and welcome to the Forum.

Perhaps you could outline what you're after as a final image, especially outlining what you feel is "missing" from digital capture? Also, what size are you intending to print, and on what machine? What are you going to scan the Neg with?

You see, the Neg is just part of the answer to your question…

FOr what it's worth, I consider a well scanned, well Photoshopped and well printed Neg will produce a B&W image of superior quality to any digitally-captured file.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky