Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I've got the time, where to go for inspiration?

I've got the time, where to go for inspiration?

A couple of ideas:

(1) Take a short trip, a hike or just go somewhere, but be sure and leave your camera at home. When you get back home think about all the times during the trip/hike/whatever that you said to yourself "I wish I had brought my camera". Now go back WITH your camera.

(2) Take some time off and read. A few suggestions: The Artist Way, The Zone VI Newsletters, The Daybooks of Edward Weston, Galen Rowell's Vision.

(3) Work on detail. Forget the grand vista with the awe inspiring waterfall and the one in a lifetime cloud formations. Find a 100 square foot area (or whatever) and spend the day working in that one area.

Or consider the very real possiblity that I have no idea what I am talking about and just do whatever feels right. Probably the most important thing is not to try too hard. I very seldom go anywhere with the idea of taking a specific photograph. I will go to a certain area, set up my camera and tripod and start looking. Sooner or later I'll find one of the dozens of photographs that are sitting in front of me, just waiting for someone to find them.

Consider a pinhole. I have several mounted on lensboards that I have made from black matboard, and I always have them with my LF outfit. The simplicity and lack of control can be a relief from the usual LF imagery. Some of these pinhole images are very beautiful when contact printed.

multiplex

just let yourself wander. if something happens because of it, great --- otherwise its nice to just let yourself relax

good luck!

Hi Kevin,

How about doing a shoot with a focus on "self-introspection?"

Or, do a shoot on the concept of "simplicity in life and the environment in which we live."

Good luck

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Look back at images that you 've done on the sideline, other than those from your recent show. Somewhere inside there may reveal the answer.

Francesco wrote:

"The villas of Lago di Garda - Mussolini's, Maria Callas', etc. It is a project of mine which I have yet to start (waiting for my 12x20 - AZO contact prints). My family (mother side) lives nearby. So, if you got time you should fly over and you will not regret it. The wine, olive oil, aceto balsamico and food is worth the trip alone. Inspiration to be found everywhere!"

Sounds great! Should I make reservations to be there in the middle or end of July?
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

I haven't run out of projects for many years. Finding the time to complete them is my problem. I am years behind on a couple of book projects and the editors are not pleased. They say I am too picky, sometimes going back and back and back to a site waiting for the right light. I say if its not right why bother? Its their deadline not mine.

My other problem is that sometimes I go thru periods where I cannot "see" images. The visual world is dead to me. I think this comes from doing so much commercial work. It deadens me visually sometimes. My solution is to keep working and the inspiration and seeing always seems to come back. Shoot every week. Get out. Go to places you have never been before. This is something I learned from writer friends. They say treat it like a regular job. Keep regular hours and write your way thru the bad periods. Half of it is just craft and craft is mainly hard work.

I once did a very successful book/exhibit project that showed all over the SW, was critically acclaimed and collected by museums etc. The crowning event was a PBS show on the project that ran nationally. I worked on the images for 12 years and then spent 5 more with the book exhibit etc. That was such a hard act to follow that all projects since then has been rather anticlimactic and unsatisfying. The making of each individual image however is as always supremely satisfying and what keeps me going.

It seems to me that you may only work "thematically". That is you work on themes or groups of related images. Try working on images that are singular in nature, a complete statement onto themselves, a single image that sums up the essence of a place. Like Steiglitz's "the Steerage". Sometimes I do that and that one image leads to another and another and an unforseen theme or group of images arises. This also helps me when I am bogged down in a project. Focus on the individual image and the project will resolve itself.

Shows are like a birth and we sometimes have a kind of post-pardum depresion that follows them. Don't focus on being stuck. Focus on actually making more images. Good luck!
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Today, I picked up a past issue (Jul/Aug 2003) of Photo Techniques from the neighbourhood library and in it is a nice article by David Vestal entitled, "Recognizing". In short, Mr. Vestal's message is, shoot what is "YOU" (personally yours) wherever you are, whenever you are. This may not be something new to you, but sometimes, a little reminder like this does the trick.

"Why force it? If you have nothing to say, there's no shame in being quiet..." Right. Spend a holiday week in Spain. Be sure that you must be here, in Pamplona (Navarra) at july 7th. to see the "San Fermín holiday". Don´t forget your camera (of course, I´m not refering to your Canham...).

Sandy, the busiest time should be August - when all Italians are on holiday! Mid-July is the best time during the summer. The water should be just right for swimming in. However, it could be difficult trying to get reservations as it is high season. My personal favourite time to be there is early or mid-September. The temperature is just right and the prices have returned to normal thanks to all the tourists having left.