Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is HC-110 no more?

Re: Is HC-110 no more?

Quote Originally Posted by C_Remington View Post
    I just acquired 14 unopened bottles of HC110. They're all US made and have an expiration date of 2014 on them.

I don't know when these bottles were purchased new but, is the expiration date really indicative of when this stuff will go bad?????
    I don't think the stuff will go bad.I juststartedon a bottle marked "2012" It seems fine, works great. I think I bought a number of bottles of the stuff in 2009, this is the last one.
    Michael Cienfuegos

The $11.65 price tag on mine is dated March 1990, and it seems to work fine for my probably slipshod developing.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Cienfuegos View Post
    I don't think the stuff will go bad.I juststartedon a bottle marked "2012" It seems fine, works great. I think I bought a number of bottles of the stuff in 2009, this is the last one.
    In Korea after a long time spent searching I found a bottle of HC-110 in the basement of Il Kwang Camera in Busan. It was covered in dust and the contents had crystallized. It worked fine. After that, I stopped worrying about HC-110.

I just acquired 14 unopened bottles of HC110. They're all US made and have an expiration date of 2014 on them.

I don't know when these bottles were purchased new but, is the expiration date really indicative of when this stuff will go bad?????
    If you have the US one (which is NOT a 1L bottle) then if you look close there is an area that says "expiration: Indefinite" or something to that effect.

I've been wanting to test the "old" bottles against the new mixture but I can't find any of the older stuff, can I buy a bottle from you?

hacker extraordinaire

HC110 is immortal. My bottle came from an old camera club and was probably sold in the 90s. I finished it off last year, couldn't find it in stock so I bought a bottle of Rodinal instead (I'm not picky).

Back in 2008 or so I calculated the cheapest developer, and HC110 won easily, even against replenished D23 with buying sulfite in bulk.
    Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do.
    --A=B by Petkovšek et. al.

loujon

Nope not at all. The unbelievable shelf life (in concentrated form) is one HC 110's finer points. Even once the bottle is opened but not mixed for use. Then it will go bad somewhat quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    HC110 is immortal. My bottle came from an old camera club and was probably sold in the 90s. I finished it off last year, couldn't find it in stock so I bought a bottle of Rodinal instead (I'm not picky).

Back in 2008 or so I calculated the cheapest developer, and HC110 won easily, even against replenished D23 with buying sulfite in bulk.
    HC-110 was cheaper than Rodinal?

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    If you have the US one (which is NOT a 1L bottle) then if you look close there is an area that says "expiration: Indefinite" or something to that effect.

I've been wanting to test the "old" bottles against the new mixture but I can't find any of the older stuff, can I buy a bottle from you?
    I don't know if this is the "Old" stuff. I think it's still pretty new. Do you want to see a picture of the label and bottle?

hacker extraordinaire

I don't know if I tested Rodinal. It was more a test of whether mixing developer was worth it compared to concentrate.
    Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do.
    --A=B by Petkovšek et. al.