Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shipping Boxes

Re: Shipping Boxes

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Uline has some good stuff. See this: http://www.uline.com/Grp_236/Artwork-Shippers

and they are breathtakingly expensive
    Hi Jac. You are certainly right about those boxes being expensive. Holy cow! They seem potentially useful for shipping prints with glazing. I really aprrecaite you taking the time to call those boxes to my attention. I may have occasion to use them in the future and, if so, will be indebted to your for this guidance here. Thanks very much.

N. Riley
    http://normanrileyphotography.com
    Last edited by NER; 13-Apr-2013 at 13:50. Reason: grammar & spelling

Lenser, thank you. I'll look into that as an alternative.

N. Riley
    http://normanrileyphotography.com

Drew Wiley

I simply make my own in the shop. Way cheaper and a lot heavier-duty. Won't elaborate unless someone really need to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    I simply make my own in the shop. Way cheaper and a lot heavier-duty. Won't elaborate unless someone really need to know.
    Drew, I am always curious to find a better or easier way. What exactly do you do to make them? I know you print large. Are you doing something more like a crate?

Drew Wiley

Yeah it's a crate. When I'm active selling big prints to more than local demand, I keep on hand some inexpensive 1x2 lumber and sheets of Upson board. Now that Upson appears gone, I'm looking at Rhino board perhaps. I have certain standardized
    dimensions recorded on a laminated sheet, along with automatic stops on my mitre saw fence. The corners are simply butt-
    jointed with a screw run in. The board is cut down on my big Fletcher wall cutter. Everything goes fast. The trick is to use a
    board which is stiff and impact resistant, but not brittle. Don't use plywood. Then I use a 1-inch-crown pneumatic roofing stapler to attach the board to the frame members. Lots of shippers make the mistake of using smaller staples or punching them in too deep, and they pull thru. This is especially a problem with Masonite which warps with humidity changes during shipping (and is too heavy per actual wt anyway). I have a spacer gage built onto the stapler. The framed print itself is put in a big plastic bag with carboard corner protectors. So the internal dimensions of the box are appropriately sized. Many parcel carriers are basically gorillas, so I want things relatively bomb-proof, yet lightwt enough to be cost-effective.

I have used the box that you reference for many years, most recently purchased from Archival Methods. I contacted them this morning and, unfortunately, they are no longer available as the manufacturer ceased making them. However, Archival Methods has a list of those seeking the ShipSafe Box, so, you may want to let them know --- perhaps with enough demand, the boxes will again be manufactured. The person to contact is Angela Blauvelt in Marketing.

http://www.archivalmethods.com/

Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Drew Wiley

Those Blick things use ultra-flimsy corrugated styrene. I wouldn't dream of shipping anything of value in them. Might be OK
    for hand-transport.

I loved those Light Impression boxes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC1650.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	93708 East Dike, Shiprock.

Gaylord should have them.