Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shipping Boxes

Shipping Boxes

Hi. Does anyone here know of a source for shipping boxes like those pictured here: http://www.lightimpressionsdirect.co...hipping-boxes/
    Thanks in advance.

N.Riley
    http://normanrileyphotography.com

Re: Shipping Boxes

Uline has any box you need.

USPS brings free boxes to your door, in a variety of sizes. I just got 50 and Customs envelopes. Seems the world wants American cameras... Then, if you actually ship with USPS Priority boxes, they pick up for free. I love the way USPS is far better than all the imposters.

I even was a USPS employee almost 50 years ago, I quit because I couldn't drink as much as my co-workers. They seem sober these days.
    Tin Can

Why don't people read the question before they respond??

Norman, I haven't seen those boxes sold by anyone else and I have kept my eye out for them. I just did another quick check at University Products and didn't see anything.

Most people I know make their own boxes. It would help to know what you intend to ship if you are looking for advice on how to ship it.

For up to a few matted prints, I sandwich them between two sheets of oversized masonite taped down and double bagged (tape over the bag obviously) then sealed with tape around the perimeter. If you need to ship many prints, simply make your own with 1x2 or whatever size you need with masonite on the outside. It is better to box the prints and use cushioning around the outside of the interior box. Masonite is preferable to plywood with smaller boxes. Not cheap to ship though. If you can't cut the wood yourself, usually Home Depot or Lowe's will do it for you if you are nice to them....

It is nearly impossible to guarantee the safety of what is in the box. I know someone who lost a bunch of large prints because a driver at the shipping company drove the blades of a forklift right straight through them! Ouch.

I did read OP's question, he asked for boxes, 'like' not same.

Sorry!
    Tin Can

Not the same nesting construction, but if it is the dimension you are after, one of the labs I use ships in similar flat fold over type boxes. I'm pretty sure they would share the source, Black River Imaging in Springfield, Mo.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Quote Originally Posted by thomasfallon View Post
    Uline has any box you need.
    Uline has some good stuff. See this: http://www.uline.com/Grp_236/Artwork-Shippers

and they are breathtakingly expensive

Usps doesn't make boxes anythig like what you want but they do always up for free regardless of the box used.
    I make my own because I can't afford ulines stuff.

FEDEX makes medium and large art boxes, and they are reasonably priced I think compared to U-Line

http://www.fedex.com/us/office/speci...-supplies.html
    David Aimone Photography
    Critiques always welcome...

Quote Originally Posted by patrickjames View Post
    Why don't people read the question before they respond??

Norman, I haven't seen those boxes sold by anyone else and I have kept my eye out for them. I just did another quick check at University Products and didn't see anything.

Most people I know make their own boxes. It would help to know what you intend to ship if you are looking for advice on how to ship it.

For up to a few matted prints, I sandwich them between two sheets of oversized masonite taped down and double bagged (tape over the bag obviously) then sealed with tape around the perimeter. If you need to ship many prints, simply make your own with 1x2 or whatever size you need with masonite on the outside. It is better to box the prints and use cushioning around the outside of the interior box. Masonite is preferable to plywood with smaller boxes. Not cheap to ship though. If you can't cut the wood yourself, usually Home Depot or Lowe's will do it for you if you are nice to them....

It is nearly impossible to guarantee the safety of what is in the box. I know someone who lost a bunch of large prints because a driver at the shipping company drove the blades of a forklift right straight through them! Ouch.

Thanks, Patrick. For large numbers of prints, regular archival drop front boxes available from many sources like Archival Methods, Hollinger Metal Edge, University Products, and even Print File, for example, have worked fine for me when they are placed inside larger boxes and overpacked with plenty of protective material (bubble wrap, etc.). I've had this done for me through UPS and their price for overpacking and shipping was very reasonable - far more so than the cost of insurance for the prints! That said, they did a fantastic job, and I would not hestiate to use them again for a large (heavy) job. It's really too bad about the LI boxes, to say nothing of LI in general. Those particular boxes worked very well for me when I had to ship only one or two prints. Your suggestion involving masonite boards seems well worth looking into for jobs on that scale. I appreciate the suggestion. Thanks again.

N. Riley
    Nttp://normanrileyphotography.com