Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Best kind of enlargement for an exhibition?

Drew Wiley

Re: Best kind of enlargement for an exhibition?

That sounds like a great opportunity, Bob ... but how ya gonna get into her head, since she never printed any of these as a
    representative example? It should be a fun excursion into "what if"...

If anybody is in the Dallas Fort Worth area consider seeing the Big Pictures exhibit at Amon Carter Museum. It touches on a lot of what is being discussed here.
    http://www.cartermuseum.org/exhibitions/big-pictures

And at the same time you can see Marie Cosindas' exhibit of actual size color Polaroids from the 1960s.
    http://www.cartermuseum.org/exhibiti...-instant-color

You know a very good point Drew,

I have known about these negs for about four years , in fact we printed some from the get go.
    I am going to look at the life time period that she shot in and hopefully see if I can see influences, I want to see if if there is some style that we think is appropriate.
    Right now we are thinking of a person who did not make a lot of prints but was obsessed with documenting a city and that may give me some clues.

I am thinking a cold tone neutral paper like Ilford Gallere at this point, basically a cold tone silver gelatin print. The book that was printed kind of reminded me of Helmut Newton warm images and I do not think that this would be the style that is appropriate . Not to mention the dodge and burn was brutal and the sharpening absolutely destroyed the images.I have the book and am very dissapointed in the direction whoever took it .. absolutely rank crap IMO .

I am going to try a straight forward neutral style, with selenium tone and try not to over do the dodge and burn, think newspaper style.
    I have been thinking about this for a few years and the owner is very much ** in love ** with Vivian's work and we are very concerned about making the best representation of the negative that are here.
    It will take us a bit of time to come to a fit that the owner feels comfortable with and I think are great prints.

At this point I do not think someone has done justice, though I have not seen the prints at Greenburg Gallery which may be great , but the book really sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    That sounds like a great opportunity, Bob ... but how ya gonna get into her head, since she never printed any of these as a
    representative example? It should be a fun excursion into "what if"...

Too bad they don't say how big these Big Pictures are. I could hook up the projector and look at faded imitations.

Now, I do like the size and quality of Marie Cosindas' images, They work well on a monitor and little is lost.

Quote Originally Posted by brian mcweeney View Post
    If anybody is in the Dallas Fort Worth area consider seeing the Big Pictures exhibit at Amon Carter Museum. It touches on a lot of what is being discussed here.
    http://www.cartermuseum.org/exhibitions/big-pictures

And at the same time you can see Marie Cosindas' exhibit of actual size color Polaroids from the 1960s.
    http://www.cartermuseum.org/exhibiti...-instant-color
    Tin Can

Bob, I hope to see your prints, for they will be your prints, soon.

And hopefully shown in NYC and Chicago.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    You know a very good point Drew,

I have known about these negs for about four years , in fact we printed some from the get go.
    I am going to look at the life time period that she shot in and hopefully see if I can see influences, I want to see if if there is some style that we think is appropriate.
    Right now we are thinking of a person who did not make a lot of prints but was obsessed with documenting a city and that may give me some clues.

I am thinking a cold tone neutral paper like Ilford Gallere at this point, basically a cold tone silver gelatin print. The book that was printed kind of reminded me of Helmut Newton warm images and I do not think that this would be the style that is appropriate . Not to mention the dodge and burn was brutal and the sharpening absolutely destroyed the images.I have the book and am very dissapointed in the direction whoever took it .. absolutely rank crap IMO .

I am going to try a straight forward neutral style, with selenium tone and try not to over do the dodge and burn, think newspaper style.
    I have been thinking about this for a few years and the owner is very much ** in love ** with Vivian's work and we are very concerned about making the best representation of the negative that are here.
    It will take us a bit of time to come to a fit that the owner feels comfortable with and I think are great prints.

At this point I do not think someone has done justice, though I have not seen the prints at Greenburg Gallery which may be great , but the book really sucks.
    Tin Can

Not sure yet what plans are for the prints other than sale. Not sure what markets and whether they will be represented or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Bob, I hope to see your prints, for they will be your prints, soon.

And hopefully shown in NYC and Chicago.

Good luck!