Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wide angle lens recommendation for Toyo 45CF?

LarryH

Wide angle lens recommendation for Toyo 45CF?

I am new to LF and I have been building a kit which now includes a Toyo 45CF w/RODENSTOCK 150MM F6.3, a Sekonic L-508 meter, and of course a tripod. I am looking for a wide angle lens for the Toyo and my research indicates that a 90mm is about as wide as I can go without a recessed board. I know to look for a multi-coated lens but beyond that I do not know what to look for as the choices are overwhelming. Any advice on how to narrow the choices would be appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Wide angle lens recommendation for Toyo 45CF?

Larry,

I just sold my CF and decided to go with an AX (I had the CF for hiking) only. They're similar enough. Last week I was using a Nikkor 90mm f8 SW, no recessed board. In fact, I had it mounted on a Speed Graphic board with an adapter to put it on the AX. So, it was even a bit in front of the standard with no problems, although the standard was pretty far back into the body.. Even so, I'd recommend picking up the recessed board. With a bit of patience, you'll find one fairly inexpensively - most wide angle lenses are in Copal 0 so make sure its drilled accordingly. With recessed board, I've used a 75mm f4.5 on my AX. Keeping the rails out of your image becomes a problem that wide - it helps to drop the bed and adjust rise and tilt if necessary.

Dan

LarryH

Thanks Dan.

I have a Rodenstock 90 mm Grandagon-N f/6.8 which has been a real work hose for me. I recommend it strongly.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonard Evens View Post
    I have a Rodenstock 90 mm Grandagon-N f/6.8 which has been a real work hose for me. I recommend it strongly.
    +1 on the 90mm 6.8, I had no issues with using it on the CF when I had one and it is really sharp, still have the lens.

I have a recessed board available for $25 including shipping and fees.

LarryH

Will I need a recessed board for a Rodenstock 90 mm Grandagon-N f/6.8?

retrogrouchy

+1 on the 90/6.8 Grandagon-N or rebadgings thereof as being a good balance of size/price/quality. The faster ones are no doubt better but they're huge, heavy and expensive. I use mine on a 45A with flat board; it's fine though the bellows restrict movement a little and I've never got the bed in the image.

For comparison, 90mm on 4x5 is approx equivalent to 50mm on 6x7 or 24mm on 135. Nice and wide without being stupidly wide; you can easily compose a shot without the corners looking stretched. That may not be the field of you you want though... some people really like 110-120mm and some people won't settle for anything longer than 65mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Huhn View Post
    Will I need a recessed board for a Rodenstock 90 mm Grandagon-N f/6.8?
    I've got a Schneider SA 90mm f/8 and, not knowing if it's much different to the Rodenstock, but certainly I don't need a recessed board for my 90mm lens. I get full movements with that lens as well.

I have a Toyo 45A and happily use a 90mm Nikkor with a flat board - after first using it with the Toyo recessed board. Don't rush to get a recessed board because they impede access to the shutter controls. You need tiny fingers to get inside the recess to set aperture and shutter speed. And you will need a special thin flexible cable release with a small tip to curve sharply out of the recess.