Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 8x10 polaroid processor how much?

Re: 8x10 polaroid processor how much?

Quote Originally Posted by adelorenzo View Post
    The problem is the film holders are even scarcer than the processors. Not sure if there are any DIY solutions for that.
    The DIY method is shown in the video... Basically you load the negative into a normal holder, expose, then you need to tape the negative to the positive (in the dark) and cover it with an opaque paper sleeve. Then you run that whole thing through the rollers. Not ideal, but it's possible.

And I just threw away 5 8x10 Polaroid envelopes...

What kind of hoarder am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Syverson View Post
    The DIY method is shown in the video... Basically you load the negative into a normal holder, expose, then you need to tape the negative to the positive (in the dark) and cover it with an opaque paper sleeve. Then you run that whole thing through the rollers. Not ideal, but it's possible.
    Tin Can

My only experience with the Polaroid processor was for printing from slides. A special easel that you insert the film holder, then expose with any enlarger. They were available back when Polaroid was still making film.
    van Huyck Photography
    "Searching for the moral justification for selfishness" JK Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Howk View Post
    My only experience with the Polaroid processor was for printing from slides. A special easel that you insert the film holder, then expose with any enlarger. They were available back when Polaroid was still making film.
    That's how I used mine. I made a base with a slot to hold the film holder in place under the enlarger.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    And they rely on a wide strip of felt...
    I know you're being funny Randy, but actually it is VELVET used for the light trap and in fact, a lot of mills that used to run Velvet ribbon have gone out of business or stopped running it. I found this out a couple years ago shopping for velvet ribbon for light traps for other things.
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

Well, there you go. $1500 for a Calumet (Golden) processor and one film holder. Gotta start saving my allowance.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Syverson View Post
    Sure, that works if you have access to the raw polaroid materials like those guys do and want to go through all that work to make your own film.

I was thinking more about a holder for the Impossible 8x10 film. I don't think there is any way to make that fit in a standard 8x10 film holder.

Bad news!

I hope the velvet in my just obtained 1/4 plate Zeiss Trona holds up for a while. My 3 SS holders velvet looks great, even the camera velvet appears usable. Time will tell. I have Tri-X on the way via APUG donation that will fit the film sheaths. I have never shot anything with velvet traps!

Well I did test some Polaroid 8x10 holders but my film was DOA.

I bought a big roll of felt tape to seal loose lensboards and that seems to work fine.

Now I am looking for velvet ribbon..

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Storer View Post
    I know you're being funny Randy, but actually it is VELVET used for the light trap and in fact, a lot of mills that used to run Velvet ribbon have gone out of business or stopped running it. I found this out a couple years ago shopping for velvet ribbon for light traps for other things.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by adelorenzo View Post
    Sure, that works if you have access to the raw polaroid materials like those guys do and want to go through all that work to make your own film.

I was thinking more about a holder for the Impossible 8x10 film. I don't think there is any way to make that fit in a standard 8x10 film holder.
    I think you could just remove the Impossible negative from its sleeve and load it into a standard 8x10 holder. Worst case you need to use scissors to trim the edges down to get it to load. Otherwise, it's pretty much a normal negative.

The tricky part is getting it aligned with the positive, which is why they have that crazy holder system. But if you know where it should go, you can just tape it to the positive like they do in the video.

I only wish the Impossible Project was more interested creating a higher quality product and would drop all of that, "ooh it looks cool all smeared and scratched" If I have to pay that much per shot, I want it to look perfect and not look like some alternative process that I could whip up myself for a fraction of the cost!
    "I would like to see Paris before I die... Philadelphia will do..."