Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: darkslide repair?

Re: darkslide repair?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott -- View Post
    Just plain ol' 'lectrical tape. It's just a crack.

What size? I have a stack of 5x7 dark slides, if that's what you're needing.
    Blech, no! If you do that, you'll just have a sticky mess when it gets hot.
    -Chris

how about cloth tape?

I think the idea is you need something that won't get caught in or on the light trap as you pull the side in and out over time. Get a piece of sticky tape lodged in there and you're done for.

Jonathan

Even a successful repair that added to the thickness of the slide.....wouldn't that eventually wear out the light trap? I would still think just replacing it would be a better choice than later having to toss the whole holder.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

black gaffers paper tape. Not the duct tape type, the stuff that's like masking tape but black. It should be in your kit anyways. Patches a thousand holes. Also good when the hinge tape fails.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    black gaffers paper tape. Not the duct tape type, the stuff that's like masking tape but black. It should be in your kit anyways. Patches a thousand holes. Also good when the hinge tape fails.
    I had some black Invisible mend material, self adhesive sold in rectangles 10cm sq aprrox, very thin and lightproof. Great for bellows as very strong and flexible, never thought but it would be excellent for darkslides.

Ian

I tried working with Grainger on this, they were totally useless. I even sent them a holder and the person just didn't want to bother with me.... very rude. They sent me some garrolite, which they said was opaque, but was the color of vomit. I also tried black carbon fiber - which was way too expensive. It would certainly be wonderful if someone know what that last stuff that Fidelity/Lisco actually used. I don't imagine they made it themselves. The stuff that is sort of like fiberboard, but actually plastic of some sort.

Apparently, Calumet owns both of them.... and they charge $20 for a single dark slide for 8x10. In my book, that's very greedy. If they were $2-5 for a set of 2 I would pay it happily. I bet a lot of other people would as well...

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Les

Thanks guys.....just gained some wisdom from this discussion. Slide repair does not appear to be worth the effort....and likely would ruin a good holder. At least to me, it makes no sense economically.

Les

In my humble experience,you simply can't bond a thin,highly stressed component along a thin,cracked edge. Super Glue?. Joke. And taped edges will destroy your light-trap as they traverse it.
    You would be much better sourcing a tired old film holder from the usual online sites,scribing the d/slide and cutting it to make a replacement.

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I have repaired it as best I can, but I also am emailing Scott for a replacement since this one does happen to be 5x7.