New Orleans, LA

Re: Has anybody seen Sally Mann Camera

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MannAd1.jpg 
Views:	300 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	92660

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    I seem to recall seeing her in Toyo ads with their 8x10 field camera. That was a few years back- late 1990s maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    I hear you can get them from reputable dealers on epay.

loujon

Look what she's using now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sally mann using 2d camera with iris chuck..jpg  

Cogito, ergo sum

Louis, it's View 2, not 2D
    Life = Love + Passion + Responsibility

New Orleans, LA

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	th.jpeg 
Views:	264 
Size:	17.0 KB 
ID:	92691

Maybe an 11x14?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikael01 View Post
    Hi!

Is there anyone who knows the lable/brand of the camera
    that Sally Mann use?
    I do not know what other cameras she has used, but, as to her work, Immediate Family, I am familiar with the camera and lens she used, because I bought them from her. The camera is a Toyo 810M and the lens is a Rodenstock 300mm f5.6 APO-Sironar-N. With the purchase, she gave me a signed copy of her book.

I bought it, because it was competitively priced and was what I was looking for, as a beginner’s 8x10. She teased me about trying to use it to achieve her level of artistry, but I had no illusions and I have been neither disappointed nor pleasantly surprised in that regard. The reason for buying her camera against others I considered was the potential for added value as a collector item over and above its intrinsic utilitarian value and the purchase included a lens that met my needs.

The trouble with buying cameras and lenses from famous photographers is that they've already used up all the iconic, award winning shots out of them, and thats why they are for sale!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    The trouble with buying cameras and lenses from famous photographers is that they've already taken all the award winning shots out of them, and thats why they are for sale!
    No, I can definitely say that is not a correct statement. In the narrow sense, as in all of the award winning shots of your immediate family, it may be correct, but for landscapes, architecture and flora, that old camera still has a lot to give.

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Pacilla View Post
    Look what she's using now.
    This is a revelation! Sally Mann uses a light tight box that only lets the photons come in through the lens glass???!!!

Reviving an ancient thread because I am fascinated by her technique and would like to learn more about it.

Sally Mann plays fast & loose. Her tripods are unstable, her camera standards wobble and creek, the bellows have light leaks, dust, dirt, and her finger prints are all over the lenses, some lenses have broken glass elements, she looks into the sky and says "Ah well, I guess 1 min exposure, we'll see," she asks her subjects to repeatedly blink during long portrait exposures to make the eyes look weird, she sprinkles dust on her wet plates, etc. She seems to invite surprise elements that are out of her control to contribute to her photos, which I find remarkable.