Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY Flash Reflectors

DIY Flash Reflectors

Does anyone have any suggestions for DIY flash reflectors? I am building a three bulb flash unit, and am open to any suggestions as to what I might use for reflectors. I was thinking about using aluminum 7"-9" cake or pie pans. Thanks for any and all input.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: DIY Flash Reflectors

Cake pan, or hub caps (if you can still find them) could work. Pokishing them would be a lot of effort and they would not be parabolic, which might give you weird lighting patterns. For diffusion effects, how about some tupperware?

Why not use old flash reflectors like the large Graflex? They are on ebay often for decent prices if you look hard enough. If you just want the reflector, reflectors sold without handles go for even more reasonable prices.

How about clip on lamps, the shades are parabolic, finding smooth ones might be a little hunt

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/c...mage_14444.jpg

Something like this?:

http://flic.kr/p/ds2oyY

picked it up at a garage sale..

I would try sturdy pie tins myself

I'd say dollar store steel mixing bowls. Use steel wool to put a little light texture on the inside to soften things a bit.
    -Chris

Flash reflectors are rather common on that big auction site.

Here is my own tri-flash. It requires no batteries. The lower part is a magneto.

Attachment 92192

At your local craft store you can get 9X12 foam some with peel and stick backs. i have made my own bounce cards and the cost is quite low. I have used popsicle sticks from the same store as support between two seets of foam. i use white for reflection and black on the back. Cut the bottom so it wraps around a flash and secure with velco. With heavy useage they last several months. The biggest problem comes where the foam gets bent at sharp angles-auouns your lihts. In the USA the cost is $2-3.00 total. i eventually bought a nylon flexable bounce card cause my foam was tearing. Still a fun project and it does work
    Wally Brooks

Everything is Analog!
    Any Fool Can Shoot Digital!
    Any Coward can shoot a zoom! Use primes and get closer.

I just thought of something that might be helpful. I have a sun shade for my truck that is 1/8" flexible foam and it's silvered on both sides. One side is almost mirror finish and the other has texture. I think you can get a similar sun shade for about $10. Cut it, maybe stitch or staple to give it a shape, and attach with velcro. There's more than enough in one shade to make a few different sizes or shapes.
    Last edited by C. D. Keth; 30-Mar-2013 at 21:55.
    -Chris

Quote Originally Posted by C. D. Keth View Post
    I'd say dollar store steel mixing bowls. Use steel wool to put a little light texture on the inside to soften things a bit.
    I've done that with an 18" diameter SS salad bowl. It worked just fine.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Flash reflectors are rather common on that big auction site.

Here is my own tri-flash. It requires no batteries. The lower part is a magneto.

Attachment 92192
    Very interesting. Is this something you are willing to share with us. Materials needed etc...Looks great.
    Anthony: Crown Graphic