Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: New55 film please

Re: New55 film please

Quote Originally Posted by rcmartins View Post
    Sorry, that was the average contribution. The average increase per day was around $2k.
    raul
    Where does that figure come from? More like $9k/day from here: http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/bob...m/#chart-daily

From me watching two day intervals and doing an approximation. Good to see. Thanks
    raul
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grenet View Post
    Where does that figure come from? More like $9k/day from here: http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/bob...m/#chart-daily

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grenet View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rcmartins View Post
    From me watching two day intervals and doing an approximation. Good to see. Thanks
    raul
    Dave, if you look at the daily chart link you posted, there was a big initial rush, and then not quite so much enthusiasm. I have backed the project, but my hoped aren't that high for its funding completion.

I'd love to have that film again, and if the pods are good, then it's an improvement (for me) over the Polaroid Type 55. I have a stash of Fuji, but of course that won't last forever.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    Question: do any Kickstarter projects that require large, expensive manufacturing succeed? It seems like the top projects are for video games - i.e. you just fund programmer's time. If the companies that actually manufacture things like frying pans, those MagicJack things you see on TV, etc. used Kickstarter I'd be surprised. You need a bigger business plan, a bigger dream, than just writing up a "wish list" based on something you cook in your backyard.
    That is a good question. Kickstarter them selves wash their hands clean off this issue, and say its the project creators responsibility. So far i have seen MANY 100K-1M$ projects that were successfully funded more then 2 years ago and have not yet delivered one thing. This is also the case with other "personally" (as opposed to a well established company) projects, where the actual funding goal is found to be far below the actual need to go to production only AFTER the fact. I am not sure this is the case here, and as noted above its hard to say anything about funding trends in KS - though at the end of the day no one has any real liability with KS, its more a trust, social capital kind of thing, which i am happy to be a part of.

Another thing to consider is that timing goals in the real world are often very different then what they are projected to be by the designers, and then the actual manufacturer who all make promises they cant even dream of keeping - so its not all the creators doing.

As you say - you most definitely need more then a wish list, and a very specific game plan to make things happen, especially on a large scale, when things are bigger then a basement can handle.

Quote Originally Posted by goamules
    Question: do any Kickstarter projects that require large, expensive manufacturing succeed?
    People focus a lot on the failures but many kickstarter projects that are funded succeed. I have backed 12 projects that got funded, a few were for photo books but most of them were for some kind of manufactured product. There are a couple I haven't been thrilled with the product itself but they all delivered.

In terms of large manufacturing projects, I did a quick scan of all the $1 million+ kickstarters that involved actually making something. What I found was:

9 - Delivered as promised
    3 - In production, on time
    6 - In production, behind schedule (but still working)
    1 - Failed although it appears they may have shipped some of their product, just not all of it.

Quote Originally Posted by adelorenzo View Post
    People focus a lot on the failures but many kickstarter projects that are funded succeed. I have backed 12 projects that got funded, a few were for photo books but most of them were for some kind of manufactured product. There are a couple I haven't been thrilled with the product itself but they all delivered.

In terms of large manufacturing projects, I did a quick scan of all the $1 million+ kickstarters that involved actually making something. What I found was:

9 - Delivered as promised
    3 - In production, on time
    6 - In production, behind schedule (but still working)
    1 - Failed although it appears they may have shipped some of their product, just not all of it.
    There is a huge deal of success on KS - and i think its a hugely beneficial platform for a great many things, be it books or products that otherwise would have never come to see the light of day.

On the other hand - those under 1M projects, of which there are more of, seem to have more of a behind schedule track record. That is not to say they will not eventually deliver but that the funding goal may or may not have been realistic, or that the demands vs return for the creator are beyond what was initially expected - to clarify - i do not think this the case with NEW55 (though i have my reservations), and i have high hopes they make it.
    Seeing as how it is inching towards 20% of a hefty amount of cash for a product that is not only expensive to use, but has a fairly small market appeal - i think they are doing well. I suspect the major market will be in China and Japan and hopefully those markets will kick in to the KS soon.

The interest in Kickstarter is understandable here. They've published some interesting data on performance there. About 43% of projects have been successfully funded. Of projects that reach 20% of their goal, over 80% are successful. Of projects that reach 30% of their goal, about 90% are successful.

Here's another nice article from Kickstarter themselves dealing with the notorious "Trough" which is common to every project ...

"Trends in Pricing and Duration"

The trend graphs are looking sort of grim at the moment-
    http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/bobcrowley/new55-film/

If the project doesn't end up reaching its funding goals, I wonder if the New55 team would be willing to at least make available their research thus far. I know they've successfully created some preliminary hand assembled films, if the information were in the public domain (or maybe under some sort of Creative Commons license) then perhaps more determined individuals could make their own instant film? Basically it'd be relegating it to yet another DIY alt-process.