View Poll Results: How much bellows do you need for your favourite 11x14 lenses?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • 200-300mm

1 5.88%
  • 300-400mm

2 11.76%
  • 400-500mm

6 35.29%
  • 500-600mm

1 5.88%
  • 600-700mm

0 0%
  • 700-800mm

3 17.65%
  • 800-900mm

4 23.53%
  • over 900mm

3 17.65%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Typical Bellows Draw - 11x14 Lenses

joseph

Typical Bellows Draw - 11x14 Lenses

A poll- Everyone likes a poll...

I'm building a new 11x14 camera, and there has been some talk of 11x14 lenses here recently-

I'm interested in what people typically use on their cameras, a favourite lens, or lenses, if the poll allows- I'm not sure if I've made a poll before-

Since 11x14 allows for high magnifications, I'd like to build that into the results-
    so if, for example, you shoot distant landscapes on a 300mm lens, then the length will remain close to 300mm, but if you shoot portraits on a 450mm lens, then your bellows draw could be double that, depending on how close you go. Similarly with still life, perhaps your extension will be a little bit more.
    So, disregarding the length engraved into the barrel, what is the typical distance between lens and film?

I've given options in Metric, but I plan on using lenses marked in inches too...

If you're interested in ticking a box, well thank you, if not, well I hope I haven't taken too much of your time...

The reason for the poll might become apparent at some point in the distant future- if ever I get this thing finished...

Thanks a lot-

joseph

Big Negs Rock!

Re: 11x14 Lenses- Typical Bellows Draw

Where's the polling place?
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

Typically the extension I need is just at or slightly more than the focal length. I mostly do landcapes. Lenses I use are 270mm 300mm, 19" and a little use of a 24".

Ideally I'd like to be able to get to 1:1 with a 450.

joseph

Thanks for the responses, and the detail- I suppose I'm surprised to see some big extensions-

It doesn't seem to be producing anything like a Bell Curve, though it's early days yet-

I should have mentioned, perhaps we could have responses from those who shoot 7x17 too, since the film area is quite similar, and it might produce a broader sample-

Thanks again-

j

Whatever you do make sure that you have beefy front and rear standard extension members like a Deardorff V11 to structurally handle the task at hand. You will be thankful when you mount a brass barrel 42" Red Dot on the end and you do not have to adjust the framing as a result of the front standard deflection. Simple moment arm computations in play and weight is not the primary enemy in this design.

joseph

Thanks Michael-

My bellows won't quite reach 42", but I would hope to be able to hang a heavier lens than that RDA off the front.

You have a reputation being quite the strictest ULF shooter here, be it on choice of film, or camera, or lens, or focusing screen- I've been paying attention over the years, and I will need to thank everyone who ever posted an opinion on the design or operation of a camera in due course. I've learned a lot here.

However, I'm not sure you're going to agree with many of my design choices; my camera will not be anything like a Deardorff. It's still a long way off completion, so I shouldn't tempt fate by discussing it before it's built and tested.

Thanks again for all the info, still surprised at the U curve...

joseph

Thanks to those who ticked a box-

I'm going to jump the gun here and tick a box myself- I anticipate my 450M is going to be my most usable lens for a range of subjects, though I do have others available.

It would be good to get some more responses too, unless there are only eight people still shooting 11x14 here...

The 11x14 that I made is sort of limited to the camera parts I used. It is based on Arca-Swiss rails so that is the limiting factor in terms of length vs stability. I got lenses that suit the camera in the end. My longest is the 800 Tele Xenar which I can use quite close in with my 800mm bellows.

Good luck with yours!

joseph

Hello Phil, thanks for that- I have a 900 tele myself, not as nice as yours, but f6.3, somewhere over 8 kilos, can't measure it exactly- mounting that one might end up as a test to destruction...

Still, at least it won't need full extension...